How to properly plug a hole - exterior garage wall

agrandmaNovember 17, 2011

I have a wooden garage wall with a round hole drilled through it 1 1/4" wide. I found a plastic plug that fits into the hole very tight and perfect size, but I don't know if that is a good fix for it or not. It doesn't let any light or air through and it looks ok from the outside. If that isn't acceptable, what should I plug the hole with? Thanks! (This is being done after a city inspection had me remove a light that was considered a fire hazard. They will be back out for a 2nd inspection, so it has to pass their inspection, and I don't know what is good enough for them.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"and I don't know what is good enough for them".

Ask them before your 2nd inspection. That's what they are there for and the requirements as simple as plugging a hole could vary. You need to find out from them what they are looking for. Explain the current plug you are using, it might be fine. Typically it needs to be plugged as a fire code reason for whatever that's worth. Not communicating with your building dept., especially when it comes to inspections, is the main reason projects get delayed by failed inspections. Always ask them when you have questions, they are not the bad guys and is part of what they get paid for. Sometimes you just have to get past there "holier than thou" attitude but in the grand scheme of things, they are "public servants". They dont like hearing that though!

    Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 10:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for that advice. I am actually working with them but when I email them it takes them a few days to reply. I'd rather get it "right" now while we have dry weather rather than wait until they email me when it's pouring rain for me to fix the problem outside. I just assumed there might be a standard in the home repair trade for repairing something like this. I'll wait and see what they say. Thanks again.

    Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 12:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

A hole saw will cut a disk of wood and Minwax High Performance Wood Filler can be used to 'glue' it in place and fill the edges and the center hole from the drill bit.

    Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 1:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Buy why bother with making a wood disk if the plastic plug works? Glue that thing in there and call it a day.

    Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 7:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It depends on whether the objective is to just fill the hole or if the objective is to repair the hole and finish it properly so it's not an eyesore.

The plastic plug might plug it just fine, but Brickeyee's repair puts back wood that can be finished to match the surrounding.

If the plastic will take paint ok, then it might be possible to finish that too.

    Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 9:01AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Can you clear my doubt about home security system?
I have a home security system installed recently. Do...
T1-11 siding: Replacing rusted z-flashing?
I have several questions about z-flashing for T1-11...
Help With Siding Repair
I have a problem which is ... this: That is a slat...
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
Sponsored Products
Butler Plantation Cherry Step Stool
Beyond Stores
PLC Lighting Wall Mounted 1-Light Outdoor Bronze Wall Sconce with Frost Glass
$61.98 | Home Depot
Hampton Bay Wall Mounted L1-Star Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Desert Sands
$44.97 | Home Depot
Red Park Right Parking Mat
$14.99 | zulily
EON Resin Outdoor Conversation Set - GLC015
PlayStar Playsets Discovery Telescope - PS 7832
$28.99 | Hayneedle
50-foot x 10-inch Canadian Garland 200 Clear Lights,1320 Tips
Organized Living freedomRail Deep Work Basket
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™