Front door threshold metal gap thingy

brussoNovember 30, 2009

MY front door threshold is metal and has a kind of lip/groove that locks into a corresponding metal tongue that is on the bottom of the door. The piece on the door has gotten a bit bent and after I 'fixed' it, is all mangled. What is a real fix for this? I went to big box to get another piece for the door but they dont have it. I am not opposed to removing the piece on the door but what to replace it with? This door is about 20 years old.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you can post a pic, it would help. H.D., other big box, as well as other hardware stores typically stick with one or two mfgr's on thresholds, door bottoms, weather strippings, etc. When I run across a situation such as yours where the big box/ hardware outfits dont carry it, you can check with the special orders desk or go online and search under something to the tune of, "entry door threshold" or "entry door bottoms". I've had good luck online looking for "not so typical" thresholds/door bottoms in the past. Another avenue would be to take the door bottom to door/window outfits in your area and see if they recognize the mfgr. and go from there.

    Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 10:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sounds like you have an "interlocking" or "hook strip" threshold. Several companies make them but they are a little hard to find. You may need to go to a commercial hardware distributor. A PDF download link is below. Compare your actual with the pictures to get started (Cat pages 130 & 131).

Here is a link that might be useful: Interlocking Threshold

    Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 7:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You probably have to get a new J-hook strip from Pemko.
I just installed two of these bronze thresholds on an old house. Be glad you don't have to buy the threshold itself, lotsa $.

Here is a link that might be useful: J-hook

    Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 8:53PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™