Pretty Ugly

ynnejNovember 8, 2011

For the record, I'm happily married but I don't know where else to post this. Every day I plan my outfits so as not to stand out. But I'm constantly judged on my looks! Today I had to make some copies. I walked past a few men. One of them loudly said, "Damn, she's hot." Another said, "No, she's not," just as loud! He actually wanted me to hear this. This is my daily life! I could name a million instances similar to this. Sometimes I can tell by people's facial expressions that they are assessing my looks and it drives me crazy. I've been approached to be a model several times, but I've also been told all my life that I have a big nose, bug eyes, etc. I just want to be able to do normal daily tasks without feeling like I'm standing in front of a panel of judges! I've tried anxiety medications and they only make things worse. If I was a stronger person I would turn to these people and say something, but I always walk on by. Right after I had my twins I couldn't go anywhere without people saying I had a big belly. Whatever happened to manners? Sometimes I worry for my children. How can I teach them to live in this world if I'm no good at it myself?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sayhellonow

I hate to say this, but I do believe it's true: most people these days are being constantly judged on their looks.

If you want to get serious about a response, you could always say something like, "I wonder what the rules are on sexual harrassment." But you might alienate someone you don't want to alienate.

Another response might be (with a very straight face), "I won't tell my husband you said that." or "I wonder what your wife would say if she heard you say that."

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 6:25PM
kayjones

Say, I use the last suggestion every time these comments come from men I happen upon. Sometimes I get responses such as 'I don't have a wife' or 'my wife doesn't know I exist'. I can completely understand where the o.p. is coming from - it isn't 'a good thing'!

Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 8:09AM
skibee

really, who cares what others think ?? be urself & enjoy
what God has given u.....
most are people u'll never see again and it looks like
sexual harrsement at work, tell u supervisor bout that..
listen to music w.headphones on when u can and keep ur mind on ur life and the good things and as far as people judging u..don't mind them...God is who u need to plz.
heads up sweetie - u can control what u think & do ~w/love

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 4:03AM
More Discussions
Never wanted to get married
I've now turned 53 and have had no desire to ever get married....
robar
Christmas
How many of you are spending it alone? Compared to...
emma
Beware New Carjacking Scheme - All Read
I know you shouldn't post a message like this on this...
lovetogarden
One for the kiddies
Here is my latest wallpaper.
emma
Really good news!
But no one to share it with. I paid off my mortgage!!!...
eclair
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™