Is This a Normal Roof?

house_first_timerOctober 20, 2013

We went to open house in LA today and saw a house with this type of roof. There's no gutter and they installed the shingles over the edge. We are wondering the wood behind the shingles would rot, also about how much it would cost to remove the "wrapping" and make it normal?

Thanks.

You can see pic here:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x337/khysky11/wraproof_zps29514945.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 12:10AM
HandyMac

I thought I'd seen almost everything.

Cannot imagine what reason they had for doing that. And cannot imagine buying the house just on that basis----might be similar crap inside.

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 1:01AM
live_wire_oak

Look at the water staining below those windows too. Makes you wonder about the flashing and stucco application, which would be another BIG worry. I'll bet this house is a trove of "what not to do's".

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 2:13PM
house_first_timer

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Yes, I've looked at a lot of houses but never seen anything like this before.

The interior was nicely updated though. The owner just didn't spend any on the exterior, a lot of the wood posts/columns have dry rots too.

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 3:15PM
snoonyb

The roof is not normal and is the result of the homeowner having received a bid to replace the facia or scrape, repair and repaint the facia, then deciding on this as an alternative.

The water staining under the windows is indicative of a incorrectly applied foam plant-on, in conjunction with the window change out, as an architectural element, because the house does not fit those.

Is the seller a realtor?

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 10:57AM
house_first_timer

not sure if the seller is a realtor.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 3:06PM
snoonyb

The reason I ask, is that with 35yrs, in the trades, in the area, it could be just one of the numerous machinations you can come across.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 3:54PM
Fori is not pleased

There are homes in S. CA that have a wrapped-ish roof--I think it was called "California storybook" or something like that. I'm guessing that this one is trying to be that. They're usually from the 1920s, adorable, and functional.

This one isn't quite there.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 4:15PM
sombreuil_mongrel

If you google for "American Thatch Roof" images you will see what they were shooting for. But you can't do it with composition shingles or a small budget. When done right, it is just magnificent
Casey

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 11:21AM
snoonyb

" But you can't do it with composition shingles or a small budget. When done right, it is just magnificent"

And thatch is against fire code in CA.

Believe me, it's not what they were shooting for.

This is nothing more than a jack-leg-laborers attempt to hide a failing element.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 7:28PM
geoffrey_b

Perfect Halloween Home!

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 4:14PM
Fori is not pleased

I grew up in Orange Co., CA, and there were plenty of these homes from cottages to big honkin' mansions. Certainly no thatched roofs. But lots of character.

It really was a thing!

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 10:25PM
Fori is not pleased

I'm not saying that this is what was going on in our OP's house, but it might be what the owners were attempting. It is a cute--and beloved--regional style so I can imagine someone trying to do it. Without seeing the rest of the house it's hard to say.

But I think that house would have to have a lot of other stuff going for it for me to want to deal with what they did to that roof!!

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 10:29PM
sombreuil_mongrel

"Believe me, it's not what they were shooting for."

So, you had a seance or something with the original builder?
American Thatch is a process of using cedar shingles installed to emulate the appearance of old-world thatched cottage roofs. It can be replicated today anywhere that fire codes permit shakes.
In this case, it's seems likely to me that upon some worker discovering the underlying framing for the "rolled eaves" they made a decision that rather than tear it out and reframe it, it would be simpler to just nail comp. shingles over it.
Casey

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 7:51AM
snoonyb

" sombreuil_mongrel "

"In this case, it's seems likely to me that upon some worker discovering the underlying framing for the "rolled eaves" they made a decision that rather than tear it out and reframe it, it would be simpler to just nail comp. shingles over it.
Casey"

I've expressed this in two posts.

I live here.

I've worked, in the trades here and as both a building and housing inspector for 35+ yrs.

And though I have not seen it all, this is typical of some of the cheap and dirty cover-ups that unscrupulous realtors and home owners will embark on, as are the plant-ons around the windows,

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
Sagging Anderson Storm Door
I had an Anderson storm door installed a couple of...
gridgedad
Fixing a small drywall mark?
I accidentally tapped the corner of my iPad against...
Raident
Where to purchase Spanish roof tiles? I just need 2 pieces.
One handyman came to my house to evaluate the price...
janesylvia
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Sponsored Products
Step Sensor Trash Can - ST13RTF
$149.88 | Hayneedle
Broan Evolution 3 Series 36-inch Stainless Steel Under-cabinet Range Hood
Overstock.com
Mosaic Tile: MS International Flooring Honey 12 in. x 12 in. x 10 mm Polished
$9.99 | Home Depot
Mission Creek 1-lt Outdoor Hanging Lantern
LBC Lighting
PlateBowlCup Mug -Set of 4 by Alessi
$40.00 | Lumens