Locating a dead rodent in the walls

homeboundOctober 18, 2012

One of my clients lives in a townhouse. After some recent HVAC replacement work they left an opening in the ceiling drywall (basement). Now there's a major stench and flies emanating from the hole. We're assuming it's "more than a mouse", which means it will be too long to wait it out. Any ideas where to look in the walls and ceiling for the dead critter if we were to start making holes and scoping them? Thanks much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdello

sounds like iot might be pretty close to the opening. Have you tried using a small mirror and flaslight to look further into the hole?

There is an inspection tool called a borescope with is a fiberoptic camera to see inside small openings. You might consider renting one before you start ripping things open.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about. You might be able to find one cheaper near you.

Here is a link that might be useful: borescope rental

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 8:49AM
homebound

Yes, I have the Ryobi model with the 3' flexible cable. I'll be going there later today, but was just planning for the worst (making more holes somewhere). They've got tons of flies, too (which means larvae in there). Not pleasant.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 9:21AM
sdello

Yuk. At least you know that the "mess" has a clear path to the opening. I'd stay between those two rafters and try a hole further down. Good luck.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 4:39PM
More Discussions
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™