cleaning out the closet

anettemartinrnSeptember 17, 2008

Just wondering for those of you who have lost your s/o to death, when did you start cleaning out his/her closet? My dh passed just over a month ago, and I havent started that project yet.

anette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones

I started about 2 months after Gary passed away. My three sons took all his clothes, which made me feel good. I sold our home 6 months after his death - just couldn't stand to rattle around in that big old house we shared our love in. I retired 10 months after he passed away. A year and a half later, I have relocated to NW Florida and am much happier than I was in the Midwest - the only thing I would change would be that Gary could be here to enjoy retirement with me.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 9:09PM
satine_gw

I had no trouble cleaning out the closets and I think it was because my husband had no interest in what he wore as long as his body was covered! I have still not cleaned out his office which is where he kept things important to him. His diplomas, awards, greeting cards and letters etc. I think it is best to start with things that were not so important to your husband. I called the Knights of Columbus which my husband belonged to and they picked up all of his clothes to donate to a men's shelter. I felt good about that.
Take your time and do things as you feel able. There is no time table. Good luck to you. Satine

Bookmark   September 18, 2008 at 8:54AM
kioni

You will know when it's time.

I'm not experienced in this area, but remember reading a touching article about it, where one woman kept her husband's closet as is, and would walk in and close the door and sense/smell her husband through his clothing, feel his sweaters, and she did this for about a year, until she felt she was strong enough to go forward in her life without his things being there.

Healing is progressive.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
women dress for women - but men???
I've heard/read much said about "women dress to...
joulesR4me
Terrible Valentines Day
I have been in a relationship for seven years. My GF...
icucwec
Coffee Shop III
Hello, everyone. I had to smile. I was looking for...
candler
The holidays and being alone
I just wanted to say, from all of us in the 'alone...
kayjones
Merry Christmas!!
I'm not living the single life anymore, but that doesn't...
Tinmantu
Sponsored Products
Castlewood Walnut Silver Finish 3-Light Mini Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Renee I Pendant by LBL Lighting
$176.00 | Lumens
Pipe Dreams Coat Rack
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
GE Lamp Replacement Parts Medium Base Keyless White Porcelain Lampholder 18304
$6.94 | Home Depot
Possini Euro Jolie Sheer Silver Shade Crystal Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting