Pattern for ultra simple black tie event dress...suggestions?

blueberrier1June 15, 2012

My fashion police dtr said I need to wear/acquire/sew a new dress for this event. I would prefer wearing the red sleeveless jacklet dress I wore to her wedding 12 years ago. It is a classic style. Current retired lifestyle is more denim and chambray and I'd rather spend $ on a long handled cobra hoe! Has anyone a quick to sew, simple suggestion?

Fancy evening dinner event at Hotel.

I really prefer an overblouse with a slightly A-line skirt. I already have a floral silk (lined) skirt with 'comfortable to my eyes colors), that I could find a matching solid silk for a top.

All suggestion welcome for consideration! Thanks

cj

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

Some say black tie means black.

Some say black tie means formal.

I don't think a skirt and top would be formal enough, but you know the event better than I.

I had a black tie thing to go to so I made this Princess length dress. It's actually navy with black in the bodice fabric. the stole was the same fabric as the body of the dress, only reversed. Very simple design, jazzed up by the coordinating fabric.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 11:06PM
Laurie

I agree with Annie's response. That navy dress is very beautiful and appropriate for a black tie event. I think princess length, tea length, or full length is what I would consider for "black tie".
Great job on making that dress and shawl/stole. It's a classic style and fits you very well.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 4:40PM
blueberrier1

Annie, thanks so much! Your ensemble looks great! Did you use a commercial pattern? Care to share name and number? I like the amount of flare to the skirt from the princess bodice.

Have not made a dress for a few years-maybe that is not even called a princess line anymore!

Am 35 miles from a store with patterns-so will try to get to Joann'e or Hancock's in Lexington this coming week.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 2:19PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Sorry for such a late reply....I kinda lost track of the thread. Presumably your event has come and gone...not a clue as to what pattern I used though it was a commercial pattern...probably butterick as I like their patterns. Hope your dress turned out well!

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
Keeping the tredal cabinet, swapping the machine (does not fit)
We have an Eldredge treadle machine and it's rusty...
archangel2003
Small washcloths
I am fussy about big terrycloth washcloths that are...
barb_roselover_in
oval cape
I recently saw a BEAUTIFUL cape made of oatmeal sherpa...
mommalin
Pleating help
Hello all. It's been a while since I asked a question...
cloybaby
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™