Beginner Sewing Machine?

ohdollypopJune 19, 2011

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if you might be able to provide me with a recommendation for a good beginner sewing machine. I'm a stay-at-home mom and as I wander through stores looking at home decor items like curtains and throw pillows, I can't help but think about how my grandmother could whip that up in no time! Unfortunately, my grandmom lives over four hours away...and if she can do it, I certainly can, right? Also a knitter, I already know what fun it can be to create beautiful things to keep my family comfy and warm...so I think it would be nice to be able to extend that kind of pride to things in my own home. :)

I have read lots of reviews online and quite frankly--as a non-sewer, I'm not sure how to determine which pros and cons are most important. I've been searching the forums for a similar thread, but the latest one I was able to find was in 2005. So, I thought I might ask.

Thank you in advance, and I hope you are all enjoying the weekend!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pearlmdt

I would recommend Kenmore from Sears Model 16231 under $200. My children gave me a similar one (model 16221 no longer available) for Christmas 5 years ago. The newer model has more stitches.

I am a self employed seamstress, owining 3 machines. I have to say, I just love the Kenmore, it is the one I use most often.

If you want to spend a little more (about $300) I would recommend White sewing machines. My parents gave me one when I graduated high school (1978) and I am still using it. The White sewing machines can handle heavy duty stuff like upholstery. I have used mine to sew leather. It is also great for every day projects.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 2:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natewebco

I've just been researching this myself and found four different sewing machines that have very good ratings. They are at different price levels from about $70 to about $370. (Those are the sale prices, which are about 50% or more off right now.) You can see them on my web page here:

http://www.squidoo.com/bargain-sewing-machines

I'd love to hear what you think!

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Bargain Sewing Machines 2012

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
pls help, Brother needle bar question
Hi There, I bet this will be an easy fix for one of...
amandalynn
sewing machine about to die?
I have to admit I have had quite a few problems all...
jjjjade H
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
Need help identifying a fabric brand please.
This is a pretty upholstery fabric.
Adria Jackson
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™