Super Cheap Fabric for Test Run on Pattern

dragonflyspitJune 16, 2008

What is the cheapest possible disposable fabric available and where would I find it?

I'm a new sewer and haven't mastered the art of the perfect fit (or style). So as not to waste my nice fabrics, I would like to find a really cheap fabric from which to test the patters for size, fitting, style. etc. I've been told to use muslin, but when I searched muslin on the web, it wasn't all that cheap. Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sherrmann

There are several grades of muslin, but none is truly CHEAP.

The main thing to take into consideration when making a muslin (Fitting garments are called muslins, even if the fabric isn't actually muslin. The saying goes "...make a muslin") is to use a fabric with content similar to the fashion fabric for your muslin. For instance, use a polyester muslin if your fashion fabric is polyester, but use a cotton muslin if your fashion fabric is a natural fabric like silk, cotton, linen or wool. Often you can find printed fabrics for $1.00 a yard, but it is harder to see your adjustment markings on a printed fabric than it is on plain fabric such as muslin.

It's amazing how different fabrics affect the hang and fit of the finished garment. I have favorite patterns for skirts, dresses and slacks that I reuse often for myself and adult dtrs, and different fabrics make a big difference in whether the garment becomes a favorite or not. A dress will be gorgeous in one fabric, and not even cute in another.

What kind of garments are you constructing?

Sherry

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 6:28PM
dian57

How about buying a few cotton sheets at the Salavation Army or Thrift Store to make samples? My local stores only charge $1 a set.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 6:25AM
monicatx

Just go to a Walmart with fabric. Mine has $1. and $2. a yard stuff. Then take the fabric home and press it with an iron with lots of steam. Once the fabric is steamed, it should shrink a little and stabilize.

I would chose a solid color fabric as it will show all your errors.

Have fun.

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 3:10AM
carolb_w_fl

Hi - I 2nd the thrift store suggestion - I often find great fabric remnants for only a few bucks - or less - @ my local thrifts. & those remnants are often @ least a couple of yards - I often find muslin as well - for a LOT less than new @ the store.I've collected many yards that way. If the store has no fabric, old curtains & tablecloths can be just as good.

I hesitate to recommend sheets coz percale can be difficult to sew, since it has such a tight weave - but cheap, flimsy sheets don't present that trouble = J

HTH

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 11:42AM
dragonflyspit

Thank you all very much for the suggestions and lessons. The learning curve to sewing garments is a bit steeper than I expected, so your input is greatly appreciated.

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 2:19PM
donnar57

Muslin was $1.99/yard at Joann's today. With a 50% coupon sometime, you might want to stock up on yards and yards of muslin - that makes it $1.00/yard.

DonnaR/CA

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 10:36PM
thefarmerswife

I live in rural TX and running to my local fabric shop is not always an option with gas being as high as it is now :) I have could shop all day online for fabric and have found some great buys at fashionablefabrics.com, they have some cute prints for $1.95. Your tester may turn out cute enough to use

Here is a link that might be useful: Fashionable Fabrics

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
socks
Advanced beginner , emphasis on beginner
What r ur fave online fabric stores? I am looking...
bossyvossy
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
Sponsored Products
Urbancase | The Sidebar
YLiving.com
Desire Blue Wallpaper R1066, double roll
Walls Republic
Chadwick Polished Nickel 16.5-Inch One Light Mini Pendant
$178.00 | Bellacor
Family Tree Wallpaper - Blue - Ferm Living
$110.00 | HORNE
Accent Rug: Indio Charcoal 2' x 3'
$88.97 | Home Depot