For Marylanders please post your hood CFM /makeup air requirement

scrappy25May 29, 2013

In my ongoing renovation planning noone has ever mentioned makeup air - architect and 3 bidding contractors - for a clearly specified 600 cfm hood. Today, I see in a craigslist ad for a vent hood that "Maryland requires makeup air (MUA) over 400 cfm". When queried, none of the above have ever had to deal with MUA. I live in Baltimore County.

So I was hoping to get a survey of Marylanders,. From the postings I could find, it looks like Montgomery county does enforce the MUA requirement over 400 cfm. If you did have to have MUAthanks so much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fouramblues

I'm in PG county, and below is a link to my MUA solution (for a 1000cfm hood). So far it's working we'll - no CO poisoning, and no fireplace ash scattered about!

Here is a link that might be useful: My makeup air solution

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 10:29AM
fouramblues

BTW, what you need to do is find out for sure if your county enforces the 2009 IRC, section M1503.4, which states that range hoods capable of exhausting in excess of 400 cfm must have makeup air.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 11:07AM
purplepansies

Hi scrappy25, I'm in Baltimore County, too - I would call and ask: 410-887-3353 - Permits, Approvals and Inspections.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baltimore County Gov't Permits, Approvals and Inspections

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 11:52AM
scrappy25

4 am blues, that is a really clever solution , thank you! Really great if anyone wants to have high CFM. And thanks for the advice to call the county. I can't believe that you actually know the IRC section in detail like that.

purplepansies, THANK YOU for that phone number. They were so easy to speak to. The inspector said that that requirement might be buried somewhere in the residential code, but unless it was a commercial type unit they had other priorities in the residential inspection, that's why those local contractors and architect had had to deal with that issue.

Lesson learned is not to be afraid to pick up the phone to speak to the inspectors of your area. Of course it is much easier when the phone number is provided on a silver platter. I love GW!

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?
I think dark hardwood floors look beautiful with off...
peemps
Best mid (low?) range painted cabinet: Kemper, Medallion, Home Crest
Love this forum and would love to know anyone's experience...
fourquinn
37" or 30" cooktop?
I was planning on a 30" induction cooktop which...
12crumbles
Corian Countertop -Show your pics!
Hi, I'm considering installing a corian countertop...
MercerM
am I being too picky?
Ok, is my perfectionism is out of control..... I bought...
bicyclegirl1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™