What are my "mystery scissors"?

iowafarmersdaughterJune 16, 2013

I got these scissors in a garage sale box, and can't identify their use. Can anyone tell me what my "mystery scissors" are, and what they're used for? I thought at first they were "duck billed" scissors, but I don't thing they are broad enough for that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noinwi

I believe they are bandage scissors.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 2:16AM
donna_loomis

Yep, that's what my thought is.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 12:02PM
iowafarmersdaughter

I kind of hoped they were some kind of special sewing scissors. I don't want to get an "owie" to put them to use. LOL! But, I'm sure I will find a way to re-purpose them. Nice scissors . . . ;-) Thanks much to both of you for enlightening me on my new treasure!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 2:07PM
donnas_gw

I wasn't sure what they were either. Do any of you remember when you could buy fabric to make your own flags (and maybe you still can buy it)? I think it was 100% nylon. After you finished making the flag, there were special scissors you used to cut away excess fabric from the back side, if I remember correctly. I made one back in the '90's. Maybe they used embroidery scissors for doing that, but I never owned embroidery scissors, so I guess I used one of my small pair that had very pointed tips. The scissors in this picture made me think of what they used to cut away the excess fabric.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:18PM
dancingirl_gw

You are thinking of the 'duckbill' applique scissors--I believe. The flattened point allowed you to slip beneath one layer of fabric without piercing the main fabric. I still make flags for myself--and usually find my "parachute" nylon at my local Hancock's store.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 9:14AM
donnas_gw

Thanks dancingirl. Applique scissors are exactly what I'm thinking about. I used to work in a fabric store for almost 10 years...right up until it went out of business...sigh. I can't believe the names of sewing notions, etc, that I have forgotten the names of. In another post someone mentioned buckram. I knew that name, but had to do a search to see what it was, then I remembered!! LOL

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 10:49AM
lazy_gardens

Definitely "bandage scissors". The flattened point slides next to the skin, no jabbing the patient.

They are really useful in sewing too, for cutting the top layer of a stack of layers because you don't risk jabbing a hole in the layer you can't see.

Useful for those multi-layered appliques. Mola?

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 4:41PM
Liddybuff

My hubby had stitches taken in his hand recently and he was amazed that the emergency room doctor was going to throw all the little metal instruments that he used away! We thought they were used again after being sterilized but it seems as though that isn't done there. He asked if he could have them and he came home with 2 sets of tweezers, and two small pairs of scissors. He knew I would be able to find a use for them in all my crafting. No wonder our medical costs are so high.
I really don't like to waste usable things.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 11:42PM
More Discussions
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
lsst
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
sewing machine tension set to 5
I had my sewing machine serviced recently because the...
talley_sue_nyc
altering pants
When I take in the legs of pants, I take in both seams...
laurenjay
kenmore 12511 machine woth cleaning and keeping?
My daughter has become interested in sewing. I have...
kellim45
Sponsored Products
Duet Queen Microfiber Inset Headboard
Overstock.com
Solid Bronze Floral Drawer Drop Pull
Signature Hardware
Wakefield Textured Black Outdoor Wall-Mounted Lantern
$98.00 | Bellacor
BUNN LPG2E Low Profile Portion Control Grinder with 2 Hoppers - 072504015514
$949.99 | Hayneedle
Rustic Bronze Sconce
$335.00 | Horchow