Help with Minky Duvet Cover

sewnice50June 23, 2009

I am making a duvet cover for my granddaughter. Her mother has her heart set on decorator fabric on one side and Minky on the other. I have tried to discourage her but to no avail.

I was wondering if because the Minky is stretchy (it is stretchy right?) If I make the Minky side slightly smaller than the decorator fabric side will the duvet cover fit better? If you think so, how much should I undercut it? 2 inches? or however much it stretches???

I have never sewn Minky before I hear it is a nightmare. any advice will help. Thanks in advance!

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soonergrandmom

I haven't sewn with it but I would pre-wash the OTHER fabric but not the minky. I would cut the front and back the same size, but I would select the other fabric very carefully. Read the hints here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Minky Hints

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 11:27PM
izzie

I made a two throw blankets with polar fleece on one side and cotton weave on the other. I made them two different ways. One I used a whole piece of cotton fabric, on the other I sewed together four pieces together horizontally. I stitched across horizontally on both sewing both sides together, the one with multiple cotton pieces is more "stable". Oh... I just realized you are making a duvet cover...Maybe sew some backing (inexpensive white fabric or even a bed sheet) to the wrong side of the to keep the minky from stretching and sew across or up and down to make it more "stable". Pin it together and sew from the middle of the fabric to the out side so you don't get too much gathering/bunching up..Preshink everything. A walking foot would probably help, I've never used one though.

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 11:09AM
izzie

Another thought, maybe have her come shopping for fabric with you, maybe she will then understand the difficulty and be able to find a more suitable fabric that she would like even better. Sometimes people who don't sew just don't understand why things won't work well.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Should I buy this old Singer?
... Can you tell me how I find when it was made? It's...
caroline94535
sewing curtain that has print on one side
I wanted to make curtain that have the print side on...
tropical_thought
a place to order
My family room has windows all around . It is nice...
barb_roselover_in
Singer Inspiration 4210 Feed Dogs do not move
I have a new Singer Inspiration 4210 that I bought...
MaterialGirl47
sewing machine about to die?
I have to admit I have had quite a few problems all...
jjjjade H
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™