new asphalt driveway

kayakluvOctober 27, 2009

I had my asphalt driveway replaced in July. The paving company contacted me recently about a seal coat. is this necessary just 3 months after installation? is a seal coat needed before winter? or ever? or is it just a moneymaker for them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zl700

Your supposed to wait a year as the base needs to breath

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 11:11PM
kudzu9

They probably contacted you because they'd like a little more income this month and wanted to sell you something you don't need. Pass on this offer...

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 1:48PM
windslam

If you have the driveway sealed before it has had a chance to cure for 6 months to 1 year as zl700 states, you will have serious problems later. The asphalt will not have time to harden and will remain soft below the surface, producing sunken and cracked spots within 2 years. Your best bet is to wait until the 3rd year before sealing but never less than 6 warm months after installation.

The binder in the asphalt is what deteriorates over time, due to UV rays, road salts and weather. This won't happen in the first 3 years. After the 3rd year, sealing with the proper sealer will prevent that deterioration. Resealing every 3-5 years (depending on the grade sealer you use) will give much longer life to the asphalt. The really good sealers have a mix of clay in them which helps with the transport of the sealer onto the surface. It also serves as a binder in any areas that may have eroded out. On inclines more than 10-15% you may want to mix sand with it for better traction.

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 9:41PM
kayakluv

thanks very much, everyone, for the good information! the paving company knows when a sealcoat is necessary for sure; it's really discouraging that they would take advantage of their customers this way. i don't think I'll choose these folks to do the job when the time comes. in fact, I probably could do it myself for less than the $350 they wanted to charge me, for what they said would take them an hour.

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 8:48PM
windslam

There is a bit of work involved in sealing when you get to it. One thing to remember.....if you use a coal oil based product to seal, you'll have to continue using that in most cases. It's a lesser expensive sealer and usually requires reapplication every year or two. If you go with the higher end products, such as airport quality, they are warrantied for 5 and some for 10 years. That runs right now, about 30 dollars a 5 gal. bucket. There's another series of products that runs around 15 dollars a 5 gal. bucket that usually needs to be reapplied every 3 years.

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 7:59PM
kayakluv

windslam, again thanks for the information! are these products readily available at a hardware store or are they by special order?

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™