best material for sealing cedar siding to stone?

ctjohnOctober 25, 2010

The exterior of my house (in the north-east USA) is cedar siding and stone. The gap where they meet was filled originally with mortar, but this has cracked and partially come away over time. The gap is about 1/8 to 1/2 inch. My question is what should I use to seal this gap? Presumably some sort of flexible caulk, but I would really appreciate specific recommendations.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

Such a wide joint between such dissimilar materials that will move so differently present an extreme test for any sealant both for adhesion and elongation. Traditionally such joints were carefully avoided by lapping one material over the other so your situation is unusual.

Silicone sealant is the most flexible but adheres poorly to porous materials and cannot be painted.

Urethane sealant adheres much better but is less flexible and can be painted.

You might try one tube of each and see how it works. I would favor the urethane for the narrower joints. The widest joints will probably fail no matter what you use.

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 10:02PM
mainegrower

Use backer rod - a foam tubular material intended for just these uses - before you caulk. Its purpose is to fill large gaps and compensate for different rates of expansion. Best caulking material I know of is Lexel.

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 6:33AM
macv

The purpose of a compressible foam backer rod is to form the back side of sealant so the finished section resembles an hourglass. This allows the maximum stretching of the sealant at the thin middle and the maximum adhesion at the wider edges. Of course, the joint has to be deep enough and narrow enough for the rod to be compressed to half it's diameter and still leave enough room for the sealant. A half inch joint would need to be about 1 1/4" deep.

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
Roof leak - strange behavior
I hope someone can help here... History: our roof...
chanj
Pouring a new driveway
Hello everyone, first time poster. I'm ready to sign...
cin_ram1972
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
Fixing a small drywall mark?
I accidentally tapped the corner of my iPad against...
Raident
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Sponsored Products
Fresca Cristallino Modern Glass Bathroom Vanity with Frosted Vessel Sink
Modern Bathroom
King Embroidered Percale Duvet Cover - WHITE/ PINK
$400.00 | Horchow
Classic Wicker Plantation Outdoor Rocker with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Black Modern Wash Basin | Diamond Pattern on a Circular Design
maestrobath
Dover Tannery Bronze Five-Light Fluorescent Chandelier
$280.00 | Bellacor
The Perfect Shade Flexi 16 x 12-ft. Motorized Retractable Awning - ELT1611MTR-RT
Hayneedle
Outdoor Lighting. Tuscan Collection 3-Light Outdoor Stone Post Light
Home Depot
Kevin Black Writing Desk
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™