How do I add elastic to waistband??

mollieannJune 9, 2008

Wondering if I can add elastic in the waist to a pair of jeans. They fit perfectly everywhere but around the middle - ughhhhhhhhhh. I can get them zipped and buttoned but would ideally like a smidge more room in the waist. If I buy a bigger size, they are too big all over...can this be done?? Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
damascusannie

Rather than put elastic in the waist, I take a couple of small darts in the waist band. If I wear a belt, you can't even see them. Wouldn't it be nice if they'd make jeans to fit a woman with curves?!

Annie

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 5:56PM
salena

I do this alot when pants/jeans stick out at the back waist area. Make vertical slits in the inside waistband about 2-3" from side seams. Insert 1/2" elastic at least 1" shorter than waistband. Stitch elastic using color thread of pants to one slit opening. Stretching the elastic stitch the other end to waistband. The waistband will now be gathered, but when you put the pants on they will fit ! Use a 'good' elastic, one that will not roll. I can never take darts in jeans and end up liking the results. If you need anymore info just ask. Salena

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 8:23AM
mollieann

Thanks so much for the information!

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 12:45PM
ReneeNeedsPants

Pretty sure mollieann was asking how to make the waist in her jeans BIGGER, and the two replied with making the waist band more snug with elastic....I have the same question as MollieAnn. Is there any way to take jeans which are too tight in the waistband and retrofit them to expand more, most likely with elastic? Thanks!

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 6:29PM
lazy_gardens

Renee - Not easily, because the part below the waistband doesn't have any room to expand either.

You could use an extender button:
http://www.wdrake.com/WalterDrake/DisplayItem.aspx?id=303118&ICMP=Search&SourceCode=20509000002

Or, if you can get heavy-duty wide elastic, sew triangular gussets on either side (like ski pants have) ... but those show.

If you did gussets with jeans material it would show less - if you do this, be sure to back up the gusset by lining the entire waistband with something.

Replacing the entire waistband with a strip of heavy duty elastic might work.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 9:35AM
mary_c_gw

Well, since Mollieann's problem was in 2008 - she's either figured it out or bought new pants.

I suspect this thread was spammed, and the offending post removed, which is why it is near the top.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 9:53PM
JohnTaylor23

I like to put elastic around the first belt loop on either side of the zipper and sew it on where the pants fit comfortably. That way I can wear the pants without buttoning it up all the way, though you do have to be careful the zipper doesn't drop down.

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 4:37PM
Bhuvans

First remove the waistband and elastic. Then buy a same colour fabric and new elastic as per requirement. And attach the waistband.

Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 2:00AM
More Discussions
sewing machine tension set to 5
I had my sewing machine serviced recently because the...
talley_sue_nyc
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
lsst
pls help, Brother needle bar question
Hi There, I bet this will be an easy fix for one of...
amandalynn
Need help with buttons on my first re-upholstery job
I am attempting to re-cover the cushions on my lawn...
Lea Grabb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™