Wind bonnets

ggksJune 14, 2011

I am unable to purchase a wind bonnet anyplace here in town. AND when I ask for it I get a strange look, like What is that? So I explain it to them.

I would like to have the instructions on how to make one.

Can someone help me?

ggks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

Is it a bonnet like the pioneer ladies wore? Snug around the back of the head but with a big brim?

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 1:03PM
ggks

It is not like the pioneer bonnets. It is made of net or chiffon. goes over the head, is attached to something that ties in front or under the chin.
ggks

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 12:49PM
ggks

It is not like the pioneer bonnets. It is made of net or chiffon. goes over the head, is attached to something that ties in front or under the chin.
ggks

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 1:01PM
lazy_gardens

Try the link. They call them a Wind Cap.

They are like those cheap plastic folding rain hats, but of chiffon or a soft netting. You could take a rain hat apart to use for a pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wind scarf or bonnet

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 7:46PM
kathyg_in_mi

You might try a Sally's Beauty Supply, or a local drug store.
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 12:58AM
timberframe4us

Based on the plastic (for rain or wind) ones my mom used to carry/use, I think you could do the following (prototype first from some paper or plastic):
-measure your head from neck to forehead--call this the "height."
-measure around your head from chin to chin (not trying to imply you have 2 :-) --call this width
-cut out this size and fold it back and forth (fan-style), so that its height "collapses" to about 1 or 1 1/4 inch, and its width stays the same. (i.e., draw your fold-lines from "chin to chin"); for fabric, you will need some method of retaining those folds.
-with it folded, sew (or staple, for your prototype) on ties to each end, capturing the folds so that each end will be permanently folded. make ties 9 inches or so long (each; as a rule, you need at least 18" to tie a bow)
-try it on, opening up the folds. if your fabric is holding the creases, when you take it off, you can pull on the ties and it will collapse back into the fan-fold so that you can store it in a very small pouch.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
socks
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
a place to order
My family room has windows all around . It is nice...
barb_roselover_in
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™