Anyone watch Fixer Upper on HGTV?

deee_gwJuly 26, 2014

Some of the wife's decorating choices are a little trendy but she is awesome about making small structural changes that really transform the houses.

I don't quite understand the budget. They detail the budget for renovations but also seem to spend a fortune on new furniture and accessories and we never hear about that expense. Does she sell the things at cost so she doesn't want to reveal the price? Or is it just a big staging scam to make the renovations look better?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fixer Upper

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kswl2

Its a staging scam. After the pictures and video, the staged stuff comes out and the homeowners' real furniture goes in. That is the only explanation that makes sense, because the homeowners have not budgeted any money for accessories and furniture. The lighting fixtures and that sort of thing stay, but the artwork and everything else---sort of Pottery Barn Farm style--- is recycled.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 1:14PM
forboystoo

From their web~
âÂÂWhere do you get all the furniture and accessories you decorate these homes with?âÂÂ

Many of the products I use come directly from Magnolia Market, my boutique located in Waco, TX. I use a lot of my faux florals, vases, and architectural pieces (you can find many of these items in my online store here). I like to incorporate pieces that the homeowner already has when I can. In a few cases for season one, the clients were in need of all new furnishings. One of the things that is hard for many homeowners is furniture placement and figuring out how to maximize their space. This is one of the main reasons I enjoy decorating these homes for the big reveal; I want to offer pretty and practical ideas for my client. Most of the items that are not theirs to begin with, are available to the client at the end of the project.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://magnoliahomes.net/

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 1:20PM
sixtyohno

It must be so distressing to see the house all gorgeous and then have to give all the stuff back because you can't afford it.
BTW- I looked at her site. Are these metal like things one of a kind? Or is she having the items made?

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 2:54PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I love them! She has a great eye and he is very good at what he does. I really enjoy the show and the reveals. They are very down to earth people. Many of the items are one of a kind or difficult to find antique items. Lots of stuff is really parts from the farms. In the rural areas of Texas and Louisiana you can come across some really neat items from old farm machines that get repurposed.
I would let them do a house for me any time. In this part of the country those styles are very popular.

1 Like    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 3:17PM
peony4

I was on board until the show became too formulaic, which didn't take long. That, and the scene where Chip asked which one of his kids had "tooted." I'll pass on the unnecessary toilet humor, thank you.

However, nonetheless, I appreciate their style and workmanship, so it's been moved to the list of shows for which I'll watch the last 5 minutes of reveal.

1 Like    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 3:43PM
joaniepoanie

Nice couple and the houses look nice...but they are a one note samba. Each reveal looks the same...the rustic, antiquey farm house look...just like their home and store. I watched two shows today and in both...kitchen cabs were painted white, white subway tiles with gray grout for the splash, cup pulls on the drawers.....exactly what she has in her kitchen!

If the show was called Farm House Style Fixer Upper it would make more sense. It seems she only has talent in putting together one specific style.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:30PM
musicteacher

I just think they are sweet to each other. You don't see that much on TV any more.

3 Likes    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 6:34PM
deee_gw

joanie - I agree that most of her decorating looks the same. She does have a talent for envisioning small but significant structural changes. It would be nice to see a mid point before and after segment. After they do the renovations but before she adds the furniture and accessories.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 7:01PM
smalloldhouse

There's definitely a sameness to it all. But it happens to be a style I like, so I can watch 2 in a row and still wish they could redo my house! And everyone seems to be nice - no artificial fights or crises over things that should have been obvious from the get-go.

3 Likes    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 8:36PM
aktillery9

Yes, she seems to decorate the homes pretty much in the same style. I think the changes they make to the houses are pretty cool. It does get old after watching five plus shows. But, saying all of thatâ¦. they can come to my house anytime!!!

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:47AM
edeevee

I watched an episode where she acknowledged that she has a "style". It was the one with the two doctors. She brought them out to the farm and the guy was all -this is not for me. If I remember right, the finished product was still farmhouse-y but with a little less grunge than usual. I enjoy watching this show, toots and all.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 8:07AM
kswl2

I agree that there is a niceness to this show you don't see in some of them. But Sarah Richardson and her witty assistant were still better.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 8:15AM
Ginger VeDepo

I am amazed at what this couple, and others on HGTV can get done on their budgets. We're trying to get a master bath remodeled and are getting quotes of $30,000 to $50,000 -- for one bathroom! I want the HGTV people to come to my house.

2 Likes    Bookmark   February 10, 2015 at 8:07PM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

Right, Ginger!?!?! We bought a condo/investment property that we're gutting. It's 1,600 sq. ft. HGTV Waco, TX budget would be $25k "staged". Real world Phoenix, AZ budget $55k totally empty.

Most designers do have a 'signature style'. Which is a good thing for me because color consultants do not - or should not. We sling color on any style inside and out. ;) Maybe that should be my new tagline. Funcolors, "PRO" color slinger.

1 Like    Bookmark   February 10, 2015 at 8:33PM
valpogal47

I broke the cable habit four years ago, but found some episodes of this series on you tube and enjoyed it. Thank you deee for starting this thread and introducing me to the series. By the way, I wonder what type of kitchen cabinets they are using. I noticed uninstalled they are unpainted and style looks the same for each customer in the U-tube episodes. I'm also wondering how they can do the amount of remodeling in those shows for the amount listed, even for the Waco area. I'm suspicious about those quotes, or else of the cost cutting vs. quality materials.

Bookmark   February 11, 2015 at 1:02AM
arcy_gw

What designer with a TV show doesn't do rooms that all look alike in the end? I would like her to get over her need to plunk an island in every kitchen, and yes she is decorating for Waco TX. It is evident in these homes, what is popular there is regional. Last night I saw an episode where they did not cut to commercial the second the reveal was coming. FINALLY--that formula was very irritating. It is wonderful to have a decorating show on again. I am sooooo sick of people house shopping!!!!

2 Likes    Bookmark   February 11, 2015 at 2:35AM
Ginger VeDepo

We have bought five houses in our 45 years of marriage.... Not once did I walk in and say, Oh, we have to totally redo this bathroom, or this kitchen has got to go. Any improvements we made were made over time and generally consisted of finishing an unfinished basement, paint and wallpaper. Guess it's the difference in generation.

2 Likes    Bookmark   February 11, 2015 at 3:27PM
jewelisfabulous

I have really loved this show, and have suggested to my husband that we retire to Waco because the housing prices are so incredibly low and there are tons of one level homes in stone and brick. Lately, I've become more aware that the show does have several flaws, starting with the producers increasing the number of scenes per episode showing Chip and Joanna being "wacky" or "cute" while decreasing the scenes showing the actual construction/remodel. Also, you can pretty much guarantee they'll have the kids come in to "help" stage the place about 50 minutes into the hour. Ugh. And, yes, cutting to commercial before every single reveal is getting old.

Lastly, I wish they'd talk more about how much of the budget will be set aside to address "structural" issues normal to old houses like wiring, plumbing, foundation work, and roofing (especially that episode with the couple who bought the 1900's four square two story abandoned wreck). It's misleading to think they got a proper and total remodel with that budget.

Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 9:17AM
arcy_gw

I would agree the family/kid time feels like they are "wasting" time I would rather be hearing about the work. Recently I was told the young buyer today is not interested in starting out small, fixing up the rough edges. They want it ALL ,high end NOW and I guess they have the money to pay for it?? Who didn't WANT it all-- where they get the money is what I wonder. The other show Flip or Flop caters to the same ideal. They are redoing foreclosures and often pits--but one gets the impression there is plenty of money out there.

Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 9:57AM
yoyb

I know that the homes seem to be decorated in pretty much the same style but wouldn't it be nice to see more color? I do like the weathered look but think that those items would still look good with some blues and greens. Another thought, why not at the end, state that the client is able to purchase the staged items (whatever that includes) for $$$ There's no way I would be able to bring my things in after seeing my newly remodeled, decorated home. :)

1 Like    Bookmark   on Wednesday at 4:21PM
aktillery9

It is sad that more than likely most of these families couldn't buy all of the lovely furnishings she uses. Typically after buying a home (especially when you have a budget of 200,000), you don't have a ton of spare cash lying around to buy brand new furniture etc to fill your your house.

I'd love them to tell us how much she charges for all of the furniture etc. she uses in each of these houses.

Bookmark   Yesterday at 5:16AM
violetwest

Remember that this is a very local show -- the staging shows the homeowner what is possible, then they can go to her store in town and buy pieces as they can afford them

Bookmark   Yesterday at 8:39AM
msmagoo

I like the show. I like her style too.

Bookmark   23 hours ago
justgotabme

I just started watching after it being suggested to me. It's better than some, but still leaves a lot to be desired. I miss the good days when HGTV was more versatile in their designers. Back to the days of Design on a Dime, Decorating Cents and Room by Room. Ahhh.... the good old days.

1 Like    Bookmark   21 hours ago
aimless07

I love her taste. But, I would hate for her to decorate my home and not be able afford all of those items. Her interaction with her husband is really sweet. Reminds me of my husband and I.

Bookmark   21 hours ago
jewelisfabulous

" Back to the days of Design on a Dime, Decorating Cents and Room by Room. Ahhh.... the good old days."

Agreed! I really miss Michael Payne (Designing for the Sexes) and Lynette Jennings. Quality designs every time.

Bookmark   20 hours ago
Shades_of_idaho

I enjoyed watching this show a couple of times then it was just too much the same over and over. 10 years ago I was more into her style. Not so much any more.

Bookmark   20 hours ago
justgotabme

Jewelisfabulous, I forgot about Michael Payne and Designing for the Sexes. Loved his show. Was Lynette ever on HGTV? Miss her and Richard Lowell too. Most of the new show hosts seem to be amateurs or wannabes.

Bookmark   19 hours ago
arcy_gw

It would be nice if they would be CLEAR about what is staging and what stays with the home. It sure sounded like the old wooden gate that is now wall decor was a 'gift'. I always wonder what the rooms they don't show look like when it is all over. Look mom this part of the house is brand spanking new, but this part is stuck in the 70's! How would that work?

Bookmark   13 hours ago
Lynn

I like the show and enjoy the niceness and normalness (albeit, very talented) of Joanna, Chip and their clients. Yes, I agree, that the homes tend to be decorated in pretty much the same way, but as was already mentioned here, most of the furniture and decor are just for staging purposes so that the viewers at home can get an idea of possibilities. I look at it as kind of ongoing decorating lessons and how-to's for their viewers. These days, I applaud any show on HGTV that has talented, nice hosts and non-#itchy clients. I can't stand snarky people, and so I avoid shows like the original "Love It or List It" like the plague! Shows like Joanna and Chip's "Fixer Upper" and "The Property Brothers" are the only kinds I'll watch.

1 Like    Bookmark   9 hours ago
More Discussions
Has Anyone Used Royal Oak Engineered Wood Flooring?`
We are getting ready to build and found some very authentic...
aktillery9
What do you have on your patio sliding doors??
I would like to change out my dated vertical blinds...
mary44
Open Floor Plans: Will The Pendulum Eventually Swing The Other Way?
What do you think? Yes, I realize that there are many...
Lynn
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
need help with deciding how far to extend built-in bookshelf
Hello - We are in the process of designing a built-in...
eastvillgal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™