Reflections on online dating...

centralcacyclistAugust 30, 2006

I wrote this to amuse some friends but thought you might enjoy it as well. And, yes, this is all true and happened to ME.

Mating Season

What I learned about love from online dating would fit on a Necco candy heart with room to spare. If there are deeper lessons to be gleaned, I am still synthesizing the results of my two year trek into the world of internet matchmaking.

With my failed marriage 5 years in the rear view mirror, I propped up my ego with some spiffy new clothes and gave my heart a fluff. I booted up the computer and put myself in the line of fire. In the first year I said yes to almost anyone who suggested a coffee date unless they were either obviously mentally unstable or mind-numbingly dull-witted. While this wasn't really an instructive period, it did result in the following observations and recommendations:

* No armpit contact on a first date. Wearing a tank top on a warm day and insisting on giving your new acquaintance a damp bear hug is not a good beginning.

* Body language: crossed arms, crossed legs, in a chair that could easily be mistaken for being at the next table are not an invitation to slide your hand up your date's pants leg. Really.

* Never agree to meet someone who won't give you a photo, no matter what excuses they give you. There is a reason.

* Don't lie about your age. I know, everyone tells you how young you look. They like you, they lied.

* Don't lie about your height. Honest, your date can tell the difference between 5'-8" and 6'.

* Hair color: hmmm, the brown you lay claim to in your profile seems to be a long distant memory.

* Interrupting your date to spend 5 minutes typing into your Blackberry is just rude.

* Telling your date during dinner that you were living under the bushes prior to your arrest for drugs is just scary.

* Making it abundantly clear that you don't find your date all that attractive and then trying to get laid anyway is another bad idea.

* On taking a phone call from your girlfriend while on a first date: I can't even find the words to comment on this one. I think I expressed it best with the gravel spray from my tires as I left the parking lot.

* Beginning to date again: maybe, just maybe you should wait a little longer than 3 weeks after the death of your long-time girlfriend to do this.

* No, I won't send you nude photos of myself.

* By the way, "separated" means you aren't still sharing the same bed with your wife.

* In the inexplicably strange department: good meal, great conversation, hand holding, walk along the river, yummy kisses goodbye, a thoughtful gift...wow! Float all the way home to find an email from date, written in the third person saying he is married.

* Lastly, if you think there is some chance your raised-by-wolves-a$$ might get lucky on a subsequent date: check your boxers, skid marks are NOT a turn-on.

Two years later, I'm not much wiser and far too familiar with the flattening effect of repeated disappointment. The veil lifted, I will never be naive about dating again. Ignorance was bliss, dammit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
centralcacyclist

I'll sink this turd in the punch bowl.

Bookmark   September 3, 2006 at 3:09PM
mimi_boo

Oh not at all Barnmom. I found it both insightful and refreshing. I am guilty of some of the same things you have posted and shamefully, much much more.

Barbara

Bookmark   September 3, 2006 at 4:44PM
centralcacyclist

I read this to my long time ex husband to give him a laugh. We are very friendly. He arched an eyebrow and asked what I lied about it! I told him the only thing I lie about is him! He has a good sense of humour.

This was the g-rated version of my online experience...

Bookmark   September 3, 2006 at 6:36PM
gurley157fs

I thought your post was really funny - and painfully realistic at the same time.

Bookmark   September 3, 2006 at 9:48PM
asolo

IMHO...keep 'em coming. I thought it was a hoot.

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 8:13PM
Don_

That is funny. I'm glad I came here.

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 7:18PM
marys1000

I think it want to send it to friends who keep trying to get me to try the on-line thing.

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 10:44AM
expresso

Having been experimenting with the online dating connection enough to have a few reflections of my own, I decided to Google the phrase, "reflections on online dating". Whala! Found your post and was heartily amused. I'm afraid my dabbling does not offer a harvest of such outrageous (and funny) anecdotes. However, I can certainly relate and find your post an inspiration to use my pen to at least document the crazy world of dating in the new millennium. Thanks a bunch for the chuckles! Hope a few of your dates have been more than fodder for the humor-mill [wink].

Bookmark   September 30, 2006 at 7:20PM
asolo

Believe its "Voila!"....but otherwise I love you. (And, no, I'm not really that big a snot...only this time.)

Bookmark   September 30, 2006 at 9:45PM
centralcacyclist

One more bad first date move: Asking me for ideas to make your profile more appealing (unspoken message - to OTHER women).

Geesh!

Bookmark   September 30, 2006 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
Really good news!
But no one to share it with. I paid off my mortgage!!!...
eclair
Favorite cook for one meals/food shopping tips?
Any favorite meals for one recipes? Also, I am trying...
CindyBelleZ6NJ
Terrible Valentines Day
I have been in a relationship for seven years. My GF...
icucwec
Last weeks snow
I didn't know how to post 2 photos in one thread so...
emma
Merry Christmas!!
I'm not living the single life anymore, but that doesn't...
Tinmantu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™