buying a used entry door

ranger481vsOctober 11, 2010

I found a used fiberglass entry door on craigslist, which measurements match my existing "ugly" door that I would like to replace. How difficult is it to install just a door only into an existing door frame, and of course making sure it opens correctly, etc.?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennifw

are you looking at just the slab of the door or the entire thing in the frame? I have never done it, but my contractor (doing a remodel) said that re-using old doors is difficult (but he might be lazy, too!)

Good luck.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 9:21PM
ranger481vs

Yes, just the door slab itself without frame. I was hoping to be able to fit it to the existing frame that's in my house now.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 9:28PM
HandyMac

Not a DIY type job. If the door does not fit exactly(and it can be off as much as a half inch), you will need to change the door framing to fit the new door.

That is not impossible, but most DIYers do not have the experience nor the tools to resize the door frame easily or quickly.

To start, you would need to measure the CL door and your present door. The CL door has to be within 1/16" (wide and tall) and not bigger. The hinges should be the same, but I've seen them different. That would mean making new hinge mortices. Same for the striker plate and latch.

And, the CL door and your present door would need to have the same swing---left hinges or right hinges.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 1:06AM
ranger481vs

Okay, thanks for confirming those points. Definitely not worth doing in my situation.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 11:42AM
brickeyee

It is not that hard to cut hinge or strike plate recesses in a wooden jamb.

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 2:52PM
mainegrower

I agree with brickeyee - if you're patient, take your time and are willing to make incremental adjustments (do little, check the fit, do a little more, etc.) there's no reason you can't do this yourself.

I do think, however, things will be easier with a solid wood door than with a fiberglass one. The latter vary a good deal in how much wood is available on the hinge and jamb sides (if any).

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 5:58AM
More Discussions
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™