Ridge vent or Mushroom caps?

susanilz5October 21, 2012

I have a 20 year old custom home which has 2 stories, 3 gabled dormers and several cathederal ceilings. We are in the process of replacing our current Hallmark roof. Estimating 26 squares.

We are getting conflicting advice from contractors. One suggests replacing our mushroom caps, while the other suggests installing a Ridge Vent. We live in Chicago, so the summers are very hot and humid and the winters are cold and snowey. We put R38 insultion in the attic when the home was built.

Which system would make the house more comfortable and be less of a pain? We have had some water issues on the cathederal ceiling, usually after wind blown ice storms. We do notice that the 2nd floor is pretty warm in the summer months especially at the end of the day and sometimes hard to keep cool. No issues in the winter.

The length of the back of the house is 48 feet, we currently have 8 mushroom caps on the roof and 11 soffit vents on that side of the house.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

R 38 is the bare minimum you need here much further south. You probably do not have enough insulation by modern standards. You need more insulation, and to address those cathedral ceilings with foam to get the R value up. Then you need soffit vents coupled with ridge vents. The two work together hand in hand.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 8:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanilz5

Thank you hollysprings! Since we already have soffit vents we will do a ridge vent and increase the insulation. I'll also have someone check out the cathederal ceiling.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
Craftsman Garage Door opener won't close
Hello, Wife came home today and was able to open garage...
mattb32
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™