Stucco Patch as filler

charlesmartorelliOctober 8, 2012

My home has a access door where the electrical panel and meter are on the outside of the house. After 50 years the hinges were rusted out and I went to replace them. I found out the small wood frame was rotted, so I replaces it, The old wood was mitered at a angle against the stucco wall and not having a table saw I just used the finished edges of the wood and thought I just fill in the holes with stucco patch. Behind the wood & Stucco is that black paper drywall they used in the 50's. The stucco patch worked out nicely but afterwords I started to think do I need to water proof the stucco patch, It says on the label it weather resistance. Or is that the job of the black paper drywall.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

At first look, the smooth cover of stucco on the Eastern Birkenstock celtics home seemed as ideal as a roads, the most ideal aluminum foil against the severe wet climate of this seaside town. Yet below its abundant wrapp of ivy, the concrete spend was a clutter of breaks and attachment, symptoms that normal water had gotten in and broken the actual wooden lath.

When effectively set up, stucco (a cement- or lime-based plaster) is about as untroubled and long-lived a cladding as anyone could wish 100 years is not unusual. But when big breaks or sores appear, the time to make maintenance is right away, before the destruction develops.

    Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 12:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here's the thing: when you use mortar as wood filler for rotted wood, you fix nothing; you have put a moisture-holding substance next to the damp wood, which is going to allow the rot to proceed apace.
You need to either replace the rotted wood, or let it dry fully, then treat with ($$$) epoxy consolidant and filler.

    Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 8:05PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
Can you clear my doubt about home security system?
I have a home security system installed recently. Do...
Need advice for gap under door frame
Hi, We had a contractor install pre-hung interior doors,...
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
Sponsored Products
Freestanding Chrome Floor-mount Bathtub Filler with Handshower
Beautyrest 300 Thread Count Egyptian Cotton Mattress Pad
Jaxx Pillowsaxx Jr. Bean Bag - 15293276
$82.98 | Hayneedle
Tub Filler Bath Spout Bathroom Faucet - Wall Mounted & Chrome Finish
Hudson Reed
Haba Biofino Lucky Mushroom Tableware Play Set - 3821
$42.74 | Hayneedle
Hudson Reed Kia Wall Mounted Tub Filler
Hudson Reed
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus 614.825PR Shower Set w Valve Tub Filler & Diverter
$379.00 | Blue Bath
Antique Copper Whitehaus WHKPFSLV3-9000 Retractable Kitchen Pot Filler
$359.00 | Blue Bath
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™