How thick should my window seat cushion be AND yardage?

sarajonJune 19, 2007

I have to get a cushion cut for a window seat, what thickness would look the best? The old one that is there now is over 4" and kind of looks like an outdoor cushion. I was thiking 3"?

Also, what yardage for 98" long, 18" deep 3" thick and the fabric is 58" wide with a half inch repeat. I do want it self welted and like the 8/32" welting size.

Second cushion same dimensions but only 45" long (still 18" deep and 3" thick) . Using same fabric but different color, how much for this?

I've looked online to find some kind of estimator to no avail, any help appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clt3

You need 3 yards of fabric for the larger cushion plus a yard to make about 13 yards of piping. You need 1 2/3 for the smaller, plus about 2/3 yard to make 7 yards of piping. You can find charts for piping if you do a search for "continuous bias", that is what they cut to make piping. Most of the charts are for quilters so they are calculating based on 45" wide fabric. That means the quantity I've given you for piping is generous because your fabric is 58".

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 6:09PM
kathyg_in_mi

Use the 4" green (high density) foam if this is something that you will sitting on frequently. The 4" is for comfort. If that is not an issue, use the 3" green foam.
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 7:22PM
sarajon

Thank you for the measurements!
Where can I buy green foam online?

Bookmark   June 23, 2007 at 10:03PM
kathyg_in_mi

You can find the green foam at Joann's or try the link below. They have a green foam called Lux foam regular that sounds like what I used.
Kathy G in MI

Here is a link that might be useful: Foam Factory

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
kathyg_in_mi
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
pls help, Brother needle bar question
Hi There, I bet this will be an easy fix for one of...
amandalynn
oval cape
I recently saw a BEAUTIFUL cape made of oatmeal sherpa...
mommalin
Cost estimate to shorten two curtains
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have...
vithdude
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™