Large Asphalt Crack Repairs?

emmayerOctober 11, 2013

We have a 1/3 mi asphalt driveway. Overall, it's in decent shape, except for 10-15 really large cracks ranging from 1/4" wide to 4"+. We hired a company to fill these cracks and then the plan is to seal the entire driveway in the Spring.

The company spent a lot of time blowing the cracks out so they're perfectly clean. Then they put in concrete (dry) and hot seal on top of it (my verbiage is probably off here). Some of the small cracks look pretty good. They came back and refilled some of the really large ones, but said that the tar-like material flows like lava and it's hard to get them full to the top.

To us, it seems that the cracks probably needed more concrete and then the hot seal on top of it. I attached one pic, I have TONS more. We got our invoice today, $2800....... my call will be going out first thing Monday to inquire that they can't possibly be done based on the dip still there with these cracks.

I am looking for opinions on how hard it is to fill cracks that large, and if our expectations are too high. Some of these cracks were 18' wide (width of the driveway) and roughly 2"-4" wide at parts (and 3-4" deep in some areas too). Thoughts???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emmayer

Another picture, this is on a slight slope, so most of the hot tar ended up at the end...but that left us with a LARGE crack still at the top.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 7:02PM
sunnyca_gw

That looks like a mess, can you drive over it without getting it all over the place. Minister & I tried fixing the parking lot, looked lot like your place. Got some asphalt stuff in bags(kind of like concrete mix comes in. That didn't work well. Used tar & sand in smaller ones, little better. Then he mixed up in a small mixer a batch of cement & used a trowel & covered over the top with sand & tar. That lasted the longest but eventually several yrs later some of concrete pieces had worked their way up after breaking & we had some small holes plenty big enough for ladies heel to get caught in. Would like better solution! Also for filling in hole where asphalt seem to have gotten soft. Hope you get a good answer!

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 12:41AM
bus_driver

The Portland cement concrete will not be successful for patching. No patching method will yield the results of all-new paving.
The black liquid asphalt-based material can be used along with clean dry sand as a filler. I know of no better crack patching method.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Roof leak - best way to find it?
Hi Everyone, I am a condo owner in New Jersey and own...
cpannetti
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
How to safely pull down attic stairs in 12' ceiling
Hello all, I am buying a house with 12' ceilings and...
ricewalker
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
kashka_kat
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting | Omni 6 Light Chandelier
$639.00 | YLighting
Large Pocket Kokopelli Cutout Wall Sconce
$140.20 | Bellacor
Brownie Gifts Green Tribal Wet Bag - GRNTRBWB
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Poppy Field Ivory 3 ft. 3
Home Depot
Pom Pom Throw - FOG ( OFF WHITE) (50X60)
$140.00 | Horchow
Emerson Chair - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Deluxe Red Adirondack Foldable Chair
Overstock.com
New Beige Chobi Peshawar 8' X 10' Stone Washed Hand Knotted Pakistani Rug H3799
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™