Oops! Small cut in fabric

johannafinJune 11, 2008

I am making a dress, and was trying to finish up the neck and armhole facings last night. I was tired but thought, I'm just tacking the facings on what can happen? Well snipping off a thread I managed to make a cut in the dress about 1/4 inch long. It is in the underarm so it won't be noticiable, but I want to ensure the cut does not tear open further. I was thinking of using a small circle of iron on interfacing underneath to try and seal it. Do you think this will work? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Johanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

The interfacing should work fine. I keep a roll of Stitch Wizardry on hand for just this kind of slip-up.

We all do it....:o(

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 10:57AM
ruthieg__tx

I have done exactly that just iron it on. If it were me though, I'd secure it with a few very small careful stitches as well...

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 6:07PM
johannafin

Thanks teresa. I just feel silly because I knew I was tired and should have stopped. Are you in NC? I'm in Asheville.

Johanna

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 6:08PM
teresa_nc7

Hi Johanna,
I'm in Burlington - smack between the Triad (Greensboro/High Point/Winston Salem) and the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill).

Took a family trip up to Asheville, Canton, Waynesville, and the area just a few weeks ago. It was lovely as always! My grown son #1 said he would love to rent a cabin for a month and "work from home." But he needs internet service and that is difficult to find in vacation rentals.
Teresa

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 10:31AM
johannafin

Thanks Ruth and Teresa. I tried the stich witchery trick and it worked just fine. It was not at all noticiable after the patch.

Teresa - Glad you had a good time in the mountains with your family. One of the joys of living here is not having to go far for a fabulous view!

Johanna

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
socks
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
lsst
altering pants
When I take in the legs of pants, I take in both seams...
laurenjay
pls help, Brother needle bar question
Hi There, I bet this will be an easy fix for one of...
amandalynn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™