how much should widening a doorway cost?

modelageOctober 20, 2011

We did a kitchen remodel and we have a disagreement with the contractor about widening a doorway into the room. Basically it involved removing an old door frame (the moldings and hinges) into the room and widening the opening about 8 inches. It involved drywalling and repairing the base of the doorway.

After the fact, the contractor wants to add $600 to the invoice for doing this job. I don't necessarily want to extract free work out of the guy but that seems excessive.

What would be a reasonable price for this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

It should have involved pulling off of the wall covering, installing a new wider header, and then the cosmetic stuff you've quoted. If all of that was not done, then you have created a structural issue. I'd expect that a properly done job, complete with cosmetics, would cost between $500-$2500, depending on the loads involved and the engineering needs for the header. $500 would be if this were a very simple unloaded wall with minimal need for header support, flooring repair and drywall repair. His $600 quote is on the cheap side for such a project, if all of the correct work was done.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 6:55PM
HandyMac

He probably had to extend the header over the doorway---or should have done than. That means taking off the drywall about a foot further than the new opening, reframing, reinstalling the drywall, finishing, and repainting. All that was close to 15-20 man hours, plus material and handling. 20 man hours at $15 an hour is $300. Materials another $100. Add in expendables and you tack on another $50.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 7:05PM
brickeyee

Bearing wall or curtain wall?

The framing in a curtain wall is easy, bearing wall can be a real PITA (especially in old work).
You must be sure that the load still has correct support.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 8:11PM
modelage

Sorry, I should have clarified that this was a curtain wall so there was no work done on the beam at all. He just trimmed the drywall a few inches after removing the molding/door frame and added a little bit of hardwood flooring and molding at the base.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 8:39PM
brickeyee

"He just trimmed the drywall a few inches after removing the molding/door frame and added a little bit of hardwood flooring and molding at the base."

Even a curtain wall has framing and a header to support the drywall.

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 9:45AM
brusso

Why didn't you ask for a quote before he started the door job? How many hours did it take for him to do this job? Was the new door a solid one? or Hollow. Get a breakdown of materials and labor. $40 -60 an hour is not unreasonable. Add the material and voila!! Next time ask before you give a go ahead.

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 10:51AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

The job is not acceptible as is described. He needed to go in and install a wider header, even if it is not a bearing wall. The job was done incorrectly. He needs to come back and do it correctly. Then he can charge you the $600.

And brusso is correct. Why would you even have him do this job without a price on the front end? You'll know better next time.

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
shufflehop
Need advice for gap under door frame
Hi, We had a contractor install pre-hung interior doors,...
pam27d2001
How to safely pull down attic stairs in 12' ceiling
Hello all, I am buying a house with 12' ceilings and...
ricewalker
Roof leak - best way to find it?
Hi Everyone, I am a condo owner in New Jersey and own...
cpannetti
Sponsored Products
Flashforge Creator Pro 3D Printer
FRONTGATE
Vinyl Molding & Trim: Zamma Flooring Narragansett Renoir 5/16 in. Thick x 1-3/4
$20.98 | Home Depot
Studio Day Sofa
Cost Plus World Market
Tetonia Rug 8' Round - ROSE
$1,799.00 | Horchow
Brushed Nickel Pendant/Semi Flush 1-Light
PLFixtures