Dryer Vent Cap replacement help.

rysoxOctober 18, 2007

I purchased a standard 4' dryer vent cap repalcement with the louvered flaps to replace a damaged one. I cannot insert the thing into the existing 4" opening (metal duct 4" duct) THey both seem to be exactly the same size.

I cannot find a repalcement cap that about 3 3/4" or 3 1/2"?

I tried altering the 4" cap and that didnt work either.

I also tried using metal duct adapter piece but still with it, I cannot get new vent cover to sit flush with wall.

What can I do to replace?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The plastic cap has a recess that the metal duct goes into. The duct usually has protrusions all around the circumference at the end that keeps the duct firmly in the cover. The duct needs to be circular not an oval to insert it. It might be easier to buy the cover with the duct and replace it as a unit.

    Bookmark   October 18, 2007 at 11:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks Ron for the response.

I do not have access to the inside ductwork to replace the cover with one of those cover duct unit jobs your mentioning. The duct run at the back end of a crawl space.

    Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 12:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What you need to do is purchase the hand tool that makes crimps in duct pipe. Crimp the end that you can get to then the dryer cap replacement will slip on.

Here is a link that might be useful: pipe crimper

    Bookmark   October 20, 2007 at 8:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If I am able to get in the back of the crawl to fix it, would my idea be an acceptable fix.

Duct runs about 30-40 feet to out the wall termination. I would cut existing ductwork at the termination. Feed new vent cover unit in. Connect existing rigid duct with new vent cover unit with duct tape.

Is using duct tape a bad idea at the very end of this exhaust run?

    Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 10:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Use HVAC foil tape instead of duct tape. Duct tape is used on everything but ductwork. The foil tape is available at the big box stores in the tape section.

    Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 8:20AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
Roof repair -- fair price?
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here and...
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™