Covering holes in asphalt shingles

dwpcOctober 17, 2010

We removed a solar water heating array from our roof and it left quite a few small holes in the shingles (fiberglass/asphalt) from 3/8" hold-down bolts. I was planning to cut or punch small (2") rounds from spare shingles, and bed them in roofing cement over each hole. Is that a sound plan? Or would a healthy shot of cement filling each hole be enough?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
metaxa

Personally I wouldn't trust either fix.

That roof is protecting how many thousands of dollars in framing, drywall, decor and etc.?

replace the perforated shingles with whole shingles, properly installed. save the patches for the underlay.

Sure you will pay a roofer for a mornings work and the shingles might not match perfectly but water damage from roof leaks goes on for a long, long time before you notice it in the house...usually.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 8:32PM
randy427

Also, the roofer might discover that you've had undetected leaks around those mounting bolts. A good inspection is in order after removal of those panels.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 9:58PM
live_wire_oak

Agreed. Replace, not repair.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 10:21AM
macv

It is best to repair a break in a roof shingle by placing a metal sheet under it. The stuff you put on top is temporary and/or essentially cosmetic. Mother nature is not kind to roof patches.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 3:43PM
dkenny

I like to take a shingle tab. if your shingles are 3 tab. slide it under the shingle with the hole. then tar the hole. you might need to cut the top 2 inches off the tab and remove nails to make it fit. for the best look tar the hole from the bottom.

I agree with others make sure there has been no water damage around the holes. if there is, the repair the sheating and put new shingles down.

-dkenny

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
tlbean2004
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™