remove old siding before installing new?

ken_in_kcOctober 14, 2011

Needing one side of my house resided. It currently has two layers of siding -- the original masonite (I think it's called) siding plus some T1-11 plywood siding on top of it. I noticed some wood rot where the horizontal trim boards cover the seam between the 4X9 sheets.

Am currently getting estimates. A couple contractors said they could put new siding on top of the current two without any issues. Three said I definitely should replace one or both of the present layers.

So what should I do? Cost looks to be double to remove and replace rather than just put on another layer. I should add that sq ft of wood rot area is not huge - probably 1-2 sq ft. On one hand, removing it all feels like the right thing to do. On the other, I don't really see a logical reason since the area of wood rot is small.

Thanks,

Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Yes, the correct choice is to remove all of the old. But it goes beyond just removing the siding to do a correct job. Siding is just the cosmetic shell of your home. What actually keeps the water out is the drainage plane behind the siding. You should inspect and address the drainage plane issues, caulk for weather tightness and air intrusion, then insulate with foam board, and then re-side. You should have your siding layers tested first before removal as asbestos siding will require the correct abatement procedure.

The cosmetic issues are the least of your concerns, and the quotes probably do not even address the other more important issues behind the siding. Make sure they are addressed.

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™