Does anyone remember this 'toy' sewing machine from the 60s?

jennMay 5, 2007

Hi, I lurk here but I've been sewing since the mid-60s. I made mostly clothes and curtains and then started a quilt (which I never finished), then stopped for about 20 years until I started again last year.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone remembers the little "toy" sewing machine that got me started.

Sometime in the mid-60s I received for Christmas a little red plastic sewing machine. I believe it was non-electric and operated by a little wheel on the side. It really did sew things, not big things but enough to turn me on to sewing. It measured about 7-8" high and about 10-12" inches from one side to the other, and a few inches from front to back.

My parents have no recollection of this and I'm starting to think it was all a dream, LOL. My mom guessed it may have been manufactured by Singer but isn't certain about that.

Do any of you sewers remember anything like this? If so, do you remember who made it and any more information than I've already provided?

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loganhogan

Singer did have one that ran off of batteries that was red. Do an ebay search for toy machines and see if you see a pic that looks like yours.
Susan

Bookmark   May 5, 2007 at 9:38PM
evaf555

Maybe a hand cranked machine? Come to think of it, I think I had one.

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 8:34AM
chery2

I thought I was going to be looking at a picture of the old, black Singer I have two of. Haven't seen a red one.

chery2

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 10:34AM
loganhogan

I have a brown handcrank toy one from the 60's, but they had a red and white one but it might be the 80's they also had mini ver. of the touch and sew.
Susan

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Don't want to mess this up Please Help!
I'm wanting to make a doll for my granddaughter using...
skyanne_9
sewing curtain that has print on one side
I wanted to make curtain that have the print side on...
tropical_thought
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
Bernette Serger 334D - a Classic!
I love this serger, bought it used many years ago,...
gramfel
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™