Wood Repair

tomdxOctober 10, 2010

I have significant termite damage on the outside of my front door jam, but it is repairable. Is their a special wood filler I should use, or I'm I ok using what I can get at Home Depot... Elmer's?



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Miwax High Performance Wood Filler (Bondo for wood) works very well, but it is expensive.

For larger areas remove the damaged wood and use a combination of new wood and the filler to make the repair.

If you leave any soft wood treat (at the edges of a repair) treat it with Wood Hardener before burying it under the repair.

Some folks swear Bondo works as well, but i have doubts about latex paint sticking long term.
It is also harder then the Minwax Filler.

    Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 2:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's expensive but this is the correct product to use.


    Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 9:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I've had to do some patching of wood on outside areas. First dig out all the soft wood you can and treat in with the wood hardener. The best filler I've found, can't find the can. I think Durham. You mix it with water. Be sure to kind of shape it as best you can before it gets totally hard, just have to wait a few minutes. I think it's much better than the Elmers or Minwax stuff.. Then prime and paint.

    Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 10:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Forgot to mention. I did some repair on the bottom of a door frame, so about 1 1/2" deep or so because of rot. I did it in two sessions with a few days in between because I was concerned about such a think layer curing properly. I also waited a week or so until I primed/painted...(FYI The Durham stuff is a powder)

    Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 10:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"The best filler I've found, can't find the can. I think Durham."

Sounds like Duhram Rock Hard water putty.

It is not really suitable for outside exposure.

The straight epoxies work well for soaking in, but need a filler to do much building up.

    Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 1:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I used Plastic Wood to repair a hole rotted in a dormer vent. After sanding and painting it is good as new, saving at least $100 over a new one. I got it at a True Value hardware store and think is was DAP brand. Cost was reasonable-about $5 for a small can.

    Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 11:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

DAP Plastic wood is lacquer with fillers (mostly calcium carbonate).
It hardens by solvent evaporation.

It does not work nearly as nicely as Minwax High Performance Filler. It uses styrene monomer and benzoyl peroxide as a catalyst and hardens by chemical reaction.
Setting time is usually less than 20 minutes is the temp in in the 70s.

    Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 5:23PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™