Never wanted to get married

robarJuly 21, 2013

I've now turned 53 and have had no desire to ever get
married. I've dated and could have gotten married, but
that lifestyle never appealed to me. I always thought about the bad thing that could happen like divorce and child
support. I like my freedom too....plus it was financial. I
never viewed marriage as being anything so great. I would
like to her from others who share these feelings. I'm male, by the way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

I think you are a very smart man to know what you wanted out of life. I share your feelings now but not when I was younger. I read to many books, watched to many movies.....that is not real life. After my first marriage I still thought there was a chance to find the right man. My second husband was what I called old world gentleman. I loved him, everyone loved and respected him, but I wasn't happy. I realize now that I don't like marriage. I should have gone to college and worked all of my life. I am so free now, no one looking over my shoulder to see how much money I spent, "another new blouse", ex wife, step children. The life I live now is stress free, no tension at all. Well except for the president of our HOA. I won that battle so no tension at all now and he doesn't argue with me anymore. LOL

I do wish I had a male friend to travel with. If I were rich I would hire a young man to travel with. He could take care of the details and the luggage as pay for his trip.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 11:20PM
DawnSmith

I agree! Date, be in a committed relationship, whatever your desire is. But why marry or even live together? I am personally going through this struggle now and the more I am honest with myself, the more I know why. Sharing space and finances with another person is difficult and trying on a relationship. Blending families is difficult. Omit all that and you have love, laughs, and good times. Hello, doesn't this scream NO Brainer! I was married once to a great guy. He wasn't such a great husband. We divorced and now we are friends and he is a great dad. We get along better than ever.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 1:38PM
kayjones

I agree 100%! I have no desire to remarry. I love having the power to make all my own decisions and not being responsible for anyone else's decisions.

Like Emma, I would love to have a gentleman to 'hang out with', do stuff with, but have NO desire to live with a man, under any circumstances, just to gain a companion.

I've met several men since my husband passed away 6 years ago, but the FIRST thing on their mind is sex (which I happen to love) and the second thing is wanting to co-habitate in MY house and live on MY MONEY - neither is going to happen, as far as I can see. I try to never say 'never' but I don't see it in my future.

I've traveled too many of the 'relationship roads' to spend the rest of my life worrying about/wondering about/questioning someone else's actions - been there, done that!

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 4:24PM
emma

Another reason for me not to marry is that I paid for 9 months of a care home for my husband which took half of my savings. I am afraid I would be in the same situation, caring for a man, possibly have to pay for a care home again. Another reason is if he has any delinquent bills I would have to pay them or my credit rating would go down hill. If he went out and bought a new care I would have to pay that if he defaulted. Marriage is a very financial dangerous situation. Been there, done that, never again.

Well, I am off my soap box and am going to go watch a couple of hours of Centennial. Good series.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Online - Internet Dating Sites
I have been single for about 7 years and ready to get...
sadler_mkb
So where?
So where does one meet new people? I have tried all...
Linda
Beware New Carjacking Scheme - All Read
I know you shouldn't post a message like this on this...
lovetogarden
Survey: Do you really enjoy 'dating?'
I have done it a lot, and frankly I'm finding out that...
sayhellonow
Last weeks snow
I didn't know how to post 2 photos in one thread so...
emma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™