Coffee Shop III

candlerJuly 26, 2014

Hello, everyone. I had to smile. I was looking for a discussion about coffee pot cleaning. I did a search on GW. One of the results was mine. In it I commented that I was 70.

Well, some years have definitely gone by. I hit 80 a few months back. For those still around from back then I hope you enjoyed our talks, too.

I think I actually began that topic with just Coffee Shop. Maybe not. On seeing a decline I know several tried to keep it more alive. Maybe the time had just run its course. Seems that's the case with much too much these days. Regards, Gene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

It seems like most forums have gotten very slow and I don't think that is a bad thing. It means they are busy with their families and lives.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 4:29PM
candler

Hello, EmmaR. Well said. I originally came to this site a couple of years after my wife had died. I hope your are right. Regards, Gene

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 8:28PM
emma

If I am right I sure do envy them. I don't have any family......................................that I want to be with. So it is movies, books and jigsaw puzzles. LOL

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:29PM
PRO
Becky

Gene, add vinegar and run the pot to clean.
For you great coffee shop folks, I wanted to let you know that Gerry1117, my sister who loved all things gardening and used to post here, died on March 7, 2014. After months of vague symptoms and having doctors thinking she had gall bladder issues, etc., she learned in late January that she had stage IV lung cancer. We miss her terribly. We have shared her books, her plants, her favorite coffee mugs, her journals, and lots of tears. If I knew how, I would post the Word file we shared with family and friends. I was with her at the end and we shared meaningful reflections.
Gerry's birthday is Nov. 17. I like to think she is going to be celebrating it with her oldest son who died at age 21.

Bookmark   October 28, 2014 at 11:52AM
kayjones

Becky, I'm sorry for your great loss. What was your sister's GW name?

Bookmark   October 28, 2014 at 6:52PM
PRO
Becky

Kay, her GW name was Gerry1117. She had been off the garden forums for awhile but had really enjoyed them when she was an active poster. Thank you. Becky

Bookmark   October 28, 2014 at 7:30PM
kayjones

I'm sorry I don't remember this name. Just the same, she will be missed on the forums where she participated.

Bookmark   October 30, 2014 at 8:58PM
candler

Hello, Becky and everyone. Thank you very much for letting us know about Gerry. I'm very sorry. The news is very saddening. I hardly know what to say. I enjoyed the few times she and I were together. Also, our continuous email corresponding. She always spoke highly of her family and friends. She seemed to enjoy all of her contacts on the Garden Web. When she spoke of her pets it was always with a smile. I think her GW name might have been SwampSprite or maytbe that was her email. I'm not sure. I think the name came from her home area in S.C. She seemed to be proud to live there. From pictures I saw the name fit. Thanks again for letting us know. Regards, Gene

Bookmark   October 31, 2014 at 11:17AM
candler

Good morning, All. I sometimes wonder if I can break "old habits". I used an electric percolator until maybe the 60's or 70's. Then I went to the standard drip type of today. Along with that I've used brown filters ever since. Mine is a 12-cup. I recently bought a $15-$20 5-cup maker just to give it a try. It has a wire basket filter but I don't like what appears a messy way to remove grounds. I feel that removing grounds with a paper filter requires less overall effort. The only paper filter I've found for the 5-cup is white. I suppose its the bleached type I've read about. I've cleaned the 5-cup very well but have not yet used it thinking maybe one day I can find a brown filter. Yep, old habits. I've found brown "cone" filters but not 5-cup. They do not work. Regards, Gene

Bookmark   November 18, 2014 at 10:44AM
eclair

Can't you just make the amount of coffee you want in your 12-cup and use those brown filters? Half the water and half the coffee would make 6 cups. One-third the water and one-third the coffee would make 4 cups.

Bookmark   December 24, 2014 at 7:49PM
marylmi

I used my 10 cup drip coffeemaker every day but only made two cups of coffee. I also used the brown filters. Now that I have bought a Keurig one cup, I only use the drip one for company.

Bookmark   December 26, 2014 at 8:01PM
candler

Hello everyone. Thanks for your help. I don't recall exactly how a fellow on TV phrases it. I guess I sometimes tend to hear/read sensible logic and substitute my own. I hope you get my drift.

This particular coffee issue began because my kitchen cabinets are too low. They were okay for my old coffee maker. About all 12-cups are now built with top-rising lids to access the reservoir and basket. I have to drag it out from under the cabinet to accommodate it, and myself.

I've studied coffee makers in stores and on the Net. Yes, just as you suggested, I am using brown filters; 6 ounces+ of coffee; and 20 ounces of water. I may or may not make an afternoon pot. My 5 cup maker is in the pantry along with white filters. My French press is in the pantry along with its peripherals. I have an electric percolator on a basement shelf.

I've seen coffee makers that might work but were up around $75-$100. Being that they might wind up on a pantry or basement shelf I passed. Thanks again. Gene

Bookmark   December 28, 2014 at 11:46AM
marylmi

Candler....could you cut the brown filters down somewhat to. Fit your 5 cup coffee maker? I love the French Presses and use mine often.

Bookmark   December 30, 2014 at 2:31PM
candler

Hello, mary7060 and others. Good thoughts about trimming the brown filters. I tried cutting the large ones to fit 5 cup maker. I'm not very artistic nor blessed with patience. I kept thinking I could flatten it enough to maintain a shape for the basket. It didn't happen. That doesn't mean it can't be done. It's just that I didn't spend enough time to see it if would work. You did toss out a thought for me to try a small white filter in the French press. My big hang up with the few times I tried it was removing the grounds. What a mess. Maybe cutting a different filter might work. Thanks again.

Bookmark   December 31, 2014 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
singles and dogs?
Hi all, I haven't posted here before and just found...
katrina_ellen
Oh my I am so bored
I settled the problem with my home owners association,...
emma
One for the kiddies
Here is my latest wallpaper.
emma
Expecting a Blizzard
We just had 14 inches of snow last week which was the...
emma
Singles discrimination.
Events where the singles price is not half the couples...
eclair
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™