Sewing Machine Back-up?

annie1971May 25, 2008

I took my serger in for repair a couple of weeks ago and now my sewing machine has gone wonkie and it's in the shop. My serger and sewing machine are both Bernina. I kind of think I should have a back up sewing machine or possibly a commercial grade sewing machine that just straight stitched like crazy. That's pretty much all I do anyway and don't need fancy stitches unless I could find something that embroidered without too much effort, as well. I would appreciate anybody's thoughts on basic quality machines.

I'm just getting started in a small business effort. I'm having a lot of fun, but can't stand to be without the use of my machines. Thanks for your opinions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
damascusannie

If all you are looking for is a straight-stitch machine for back-up, I suggest finding a good vintage machine. I use nothing but antique and vintage machines (nothing newer than 1960) and have almost no problems with them, ever. I have a small machine quilting business and I do all my custom work on treadle sewing machines--I don't even like the idea of an electric motor conking out on me!

Annie

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 9:45AM
annie1971

Annie, I wish I had kept my 1968 Singer. Loved that machine! I think my reference to a back-up machine was not accurate. I'm thinking of a commercial machine to use exclusively and using my Bernina as back-up for straight stitch and whatever special things it can do for me, depending on my project. Gotta hand it to you, though. I guess that treadle never lets you down in a power outage, either.
Annie

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 7:39PM
damascusannie

Take a look at my machines (Studio and National Sewing Machines albums) and the work I'm doing with them (Quilts and Quilting Motifs albums.) I love my treadles, but good vintage electrics are pretty easy to find at thrift stores, garage sales and auctions.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's albums

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 9:09PM
teresa_nc7

A truly industrial machine is going to set you back some bucks unless you find an older machine at auction or thrift store. Don't be fooled by labels of "commercial/industrial heavy-duty machine" on some of the ebay auctions. People that know have pointed out that the machines being sold are not industrial - just work-horse vintage machines with too high a price tag.

A vintage Singer 99 or 15-91 or 301 machine would be a the types of machines I would suggest. Unless you are trying to sew thru leather or layers of denim, a commercial machine may not be necessary for your business.

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 6:54AM
More Discussions
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
Pleating help
Hello all. It's been a while since I asked a question...
cloybaby
Seamstress Needed
Hi, Is there any experience seamstresses in Illinois...
loppsylou50
sewing machine tension set to 5
I had my sewing machine serviced recently because the...
talley_sue_nyc
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™