blow-in insulation

jvmagicOctober 12, 2009

Hi,

I have a two-story home and I know the walls are not insulated. I am thinking that w/ a machine I can blow-in cellulose insulation through the attic. I know I will probably miss the spots where there is a cross brace etc....

is this too much to miss?

Please advice?

hiring someone to insulate the walls from the outside sounds expensive.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

At best, you'd be insulating half-way down the walls of the upper floor. That's assuming you could get access to the top of the wall in the attic where the roof comes down to the eaves (not very likely).

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 4:10PM
kudzu9

I'm puzzled over how exactly you think you are going to get access to wall cavities from above. Besides the fact that it probably can't be done, you would have the cellulose hanging up on wires, plumbing and nails. I think it is best for you to contact someone with experience in this area to get an idea of what can actually be done.

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 7:53PM
HandyMac

Walls are framed like a box---top, sides, and bottom. There is no way to blow into walls from the attic without drilling a hole through the double top plates into each stud cavity. that means a hole every 16 inches---or 24 in older houses.

Nlowing insulation into wall cavaties is not a DIY friendly job for the average home owner.

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 12:39AM
energy_rater_la

and some walls are balloon framed..no top no bottom just sides. blow it in..it falls out.
(learned that one the hard way!)

folks do blow insulation in their attics, but walls...
best hired out. insulator would drill above and below fire blocking to blow insulation two holes per cavity.

best of luck.

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 10:27PM
karinl

Our house obviously had cellulose blown in many years ago, as we found cellulose in all the wall cavities and the house has round patched holes all the way around the outside.

The coverage was decent, we found when we opened up all the walls, Certainly not 100%, but I bet folks living here over the years have preferred it to having no insulation. As well as getting hung up here and there, it had settled over the years.

Blow it in by all means, but perhaps not through the attic.

KarinL

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™