Recommend a better mailbox

db4570October 23, 2013

I want to upgrade from the typical mailbox sold at home centers, but still keep a traditional style, in metal. I don't like the plastic ones, or the ornate fancy ones. I just want an old-fashioned mailbox on a post that is higher quality and a little more heavy-duty than the cheapies. I have seen some really heavy-gauge ones that are vandal proof, but they're overkill, and over $100.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

David

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Gibralter and Salsbury make good product. And yeah, you kinda do have to be close to $100 for a good box.

Don't forget the matching $128 post.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4800 Series Post-Mount Deluxe Rural Mailbox

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 8:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Zagut

Get the box you want.

If you want it to be able to take the drivers who can't tell the difference between the road and the shoulder you need a post that can withstand there assault.

3' or 4 " PVC or Steel filled with concrete and set into the ground in concrete will take care of the drivers who have had a few to many.

Once they realize the cost of repair to there car is more then replacing the mailbox they tend to be a bit more careful.

( Thank my neighbor and his dumb-ass kids for this attitude.)

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Roof repair -- fair price?
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here and...
vashts85
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™