Picket Fence Repair

kelkoOctober 2, 2012

I am replacing my picket fence and have already done about six 8-foot sections. I have several to go. I have used one screw on top and bottom of the 3-inch wide pickets and I really don't like the way the holes show. I tried painting them, but they're still noticeable. My questions are (1) should I be using nails instead of screws, (2) if I keep using the screws, do you think the pickets will eventually cup with only one nail on top and bottom (they're primed and painted white); (3) if I switch to nails and rent a nail gun, what type of nail should I use that won't rust or react to the cedar wood, and (4) should I use 4 nails total (two on top and bottom)? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hendricus

You could try caps for the screws.

Here is a link that might be useful: screw caps

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 3:14PM
millworkman

Yes they will cup with only one nail or screw in each picket. Stainless Steel should be used regardless if screws or nails. Go to a lumberyard and get "trim head" screws in stainless or if you choose to rent a nailer use a finish gun or brad nailer and use the appropriate stainless steel nail, using 2 or 3 top and bottom.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 10:19AM
kelko

Thank you both for your replies. I appreciate you taking the time to give suggestions/advice. Looks like I've got a lot more work to do!

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™