roof structure

renna44October 3, 2010

I am hoping for some advice or ideas on my upcoming new roofing. I have a few home repair projects & got some great advice over in the Hvac section on ductwork.

I have a couple contractors coming to view and bid & I am trying to educate myself a bit in advance. I've got a decent grip on the parts of a roof & shingle types, etc, but can't seem to figure out this one particular troublesome section of the roof. (I don't even know the technical wording for this part of roof). It's the part starting mid way and extending over the porch. see pic. Obviously some dips near the pipes, but beyond that, the section just seems out of sorts, at least visually. Do I need to just have that section completely torn off and start over? Or can it be built up or something (during the re-roofing process) to improve the look? The scale? Should I be thinking about new pillars and or some type of "something" -trimming? - to help the porch look?

The roof is low pitch, and the house is approx 1700 sq ft inc the attached garage. It's a long, narrow ranch, approx 22 x 75, built in 1960. Thanks in advance for any and all direction! PS...am I in the right forum for this question?

Here is a link that might be useful: Roof Pic

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

The dips around the vent pipes may be an indication that the pipe flashing has failed at some time and the sheathing is now water damaged there and should be replaced.
You might try the Remodeling forum for advice on how to make the roof more visually appealing. I would look at having the 'bump up' on the left side rebuilt as a gable coming out perpendicular to the main roofline. I would also want to minimize the 'street visibility' of those vent pipes.

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 5:24PM
More Discussions
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™