How would you put hardware on this door?

MizLizzieMay 19, 2013

I will have an Elux oven installation just like this picture from Houzz. The same Blum hardware on the micro garage. And -- scary! -- even the same pulls. My cabs will be cream, not white, with a warming drawer under the oven, otherwise, very similar.

In this picture, they have one pull mounted at the bottom. I was thinking of using two. Or maybe even putting them up mid-panel like a drawer. Any thoughts on what would look the best?

Here is a link that might be useful: Oven column on Houzz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linelle

I think it looks fine in the picture. Except, that microwave door covers most of the TV when it's up and in use. Annoying, if you're going to the trouble of putting a TV in the kitchen. Too bad the door can't slide back into the cab when it's in use. Not that you asked our opinion on that. :)

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:41AM
MizLizzie

Oh, sorry. I will have china storage above. No TV. China that we use only twice a year, thank God. My KD thought we'd get a bit more usable space with this configuration than the roll in. For a TV, tho, you are quite right.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:43AM
williamsem

I think either way would look fine. I'd go with whatever way puts less stress on the door and hinges when lifting and closing.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:47AM
breezygirl

I thinking would place the pull exactly as pictured for two reasons. One, you won't have to reach up as far as if the pull was mid-panel. Two, another ease of use reason, I would only install one pull so the front could be pulled up more easily. I would think you might approach the MW with food bowl already in hand leaving only one free for opening. Grabbing a center pull would put less stress on the panel and hardware than grabbing one that was installed on the side.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 1:44PM
MizLizzie

Good point regarding stress on hinges. Breezygirl, you are exactly right. I never thought of that. I rarely use the microwave, but when I do, that's how I do it. BTW, as you see, I lost my lovely micro-drawer in the design. My kitchen is just too small.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 7:54PM
a2gemini

I would go with the single pull at the bottom - If you can get it to slide in above the MW, it won't block the upper cabinet. (as Linelle and Breezy suggested)

The reason for one pull - if you have something in your other hand, you only need one hand to open it.

Too bad about your MW drawer - we all had to give up some hopeful items...

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:44PM
Linelle

MizLizzie, I knew you were too smart to put a TV up there and then cover it with the MW cab door. :) Can you just imagine the kerfuffle during playoffs?

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
Lighting 7 foot ceiling pantry
I am doing a bank of cabinets in my 9 foot by 7 foot...
katonahmom
knobs or pulls on cabinets - function vs. look
Hi all, We are still slowly inching along with our...
remodel-mama
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Close matches to Conestoga popular White paint colors
We often get asked whose paints Conestoga uses on their...
Cabinet Joint
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™