I finished it...but the neckline is yucky.
This is HARD!
Ok. I finished my "very easy" top. The neckline took an entire day of work. It was supposed to be finished with single fold tape.
1. I put it on once. It didn't "sit" right, and my stitches were crooked. Removed it.
2. I put it on again. The neckline still pooched/tilted outward. Removed it.
3. Noticed that my 2 removals made several teeny holes in the knit fabric.
4. Tried to redesign neck and make it lower so that I could hide the holes I made (by putting the tape over them. This made the neckline awful. So I had to remove the front and back yolk from the front and back bottom pieces, and recut new pieces, and redo the !@#$% gathers, and basically start all over.
5. Tried the bias tape one more time. Spent about 30 minutes wetting it, steaming it, pressing it, cooling it, etc. to make it the right curvy shape. Carefully applied it. The neckline STILL turned outward. ARRRRRRGHHHHHHH. Carefully, carefully removed tape.
6. Stared at the neckline and cursed. WHY did it always turn outward? Was it the tape? The shape? Thinking maybe the tape was the problem, I decided to finish it with a narrow hem instead.
8. Deep breath. Maybe the fabric was getting pulled too tightly. Maybe sewing around the entire neckline was pulling on it. I separated the front and back yolk, and finished the front and back necklines (with the narrow hem--not tape) separately. THEN I put the front and back together again. This made it lie a little flatter. But it still turned outward. And this construction method seemed to make it hang more like a boat neck than a crew neck. I don't like boat necks cause my bra straps sew.
So now I've got a reasonably cute top with a curling-outward-boat-neck-that-shows-my-bra-straps. !@#$%^&!
I really, really loved this shirt style. Here is a link to the pattern (I did the last one--style D): http://www.butterick.com/item/B5356.htm?search=5356&page=1
Everything else came out really well, including my ruffly, flouncy sleeves. But the neckline just utterly defeated me. I'm not sure I can wear it now. Maybe with another shirt under it. :-(
I have 2 more similar shirt patterns, but I"m dreading the necklines.