White Reef Granite?

geminigirl620May 22, 2012

Anyone ever heard of this granite? I know the names are changed with the wind, but I recently found a slab I like (after exhaustive searching), but it failed the etch test. It did NOT etch like marble, was much less noticeable, but it etched nonetheless unlike all the other granites I'd looked at and tested.

Could this stone be labelled incorrectly. Or just a slab with alot of calcite? Not sure if it was sealed.

I don't have a pic, but it was a light cream/gray background with subtle striations of tan.

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catlover5

I haven't heard of this granite name but did google it without success. I also looked at two web sites - marble.com and 1000granitecolors.com and didn't see this name. Maybe take a look and see if you see something that looks similar? Good luck.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 5:39PM
SaraKat

The granite yard may have named it themselves. Sometimes they do that. It sounds a little like bianco ramano. The slabs I've been seeing lately look nothing like the ones I saw last year. They have a lot more white in the background and more yellow gold tan in them along with the gray. Truly beautiful and crisp coloring.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 7:56PM
geminigirl620

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't find any info either. The granite place said it is from a small quarry in Australia and just may have more calcite than other stones. It had, however, not been sealed by the granite yard, just at the quarry.

Here is a pic...

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 10:53AM
mjocean

Hi,

That slab looks interesting. Where are you located? I'm in the Boston, MA area.

Marilyn

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 12:39PM
geminigirl620

I am in the Philadelphia area. The stone was found at at "exotic" stone place in Trenton, NJ.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 2:12PM
vickevette

That looks like Fantasy Brown Quartzite to me. See link--if it doesn't work, just google images for 'Fantasy Brown Quartzite'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fantasy Brown

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 2:30PM
geminigirl620

Thanks for the information. Wow, that picture of Fantasy Brown is exactly what it looks like. But I am dubious that my stone is quartzite. I am deliberating between the White Reef (granite) and Madre Perla quartzite and the quartzite is a MUCH denser feeling stone.

But Fantasy Brown could well have a slightly different composition.

Also, I noticed my pic of the White Reef looks quite pronounced in its color variation in the photo. In reality, it is very creamy and subtle with more "undertones" of color.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 3:59PM
vickevette

I looked at both Fantasy Brown and Madre Perla, and played with samples at home, early in my countertop search. I found that Fantasy Brown etched like crazy (contrary to what some others said on GW) with acidic fluids like lemon juice, and the Madre Perla did not.

I think the composition of the two is different, and different quartzites, even different slabs of the same quartzite, contain different amounts of calcite which makes them succeptable to etching.

Both beautiful stones, though.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 4:14PM
fracas99

Hi, gemini girl, I went to that granite place in trenton today. i spent 4 hrs there....I am debating between granite, quartz and quartzite. I also liked the white reef alot and was totally sold in it. I left a deposit for it...I took a piece home, and it does etch...I tested w/ a butter knife and it leaves marks. I also dragged a plate across and that scratched it too. so now I am at a loss as too what to choose.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 6:30PM
lzgreen

Found this thread while searching "white reef granite". My brother is in PA and looking at it for his kitchen. Was wondering what granite place in Trenton you went to and where you found all the quartzite. Not many places have it in stock. Sort of fell in love with a marble called White Danby, but did not want marble in his kitchen due to concerns about scratches, stains, etc. Have been looking for something similar ever since. What did you ultimately decide?

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
How to deal with high contractor bids based on your location?
In a way, I'm echoing what beachem is saying about...
andyscott
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Kitchen Cabinet pricing - what would you do?
I had had a few quotes done for my kitchen cabinets:...
petralikesyoga
Would this open shelf look OK between the wall oven and range hood?
I need a quick decision made so DH can carry on with...
laughablemoments
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™