De-constructing Old House

jfjackiOctober 18, 2011

I love this forum. I read it all the time. This is the first time I have needed help that I couldn't find an answer to.

I feel as though we have bitten off way more than we can chew as a family.

We are de-constructing a 1914 two-story farmhouse for the lumber. We have a 100-year-old-plus barn on our property and we desperately need the wood to repair it.

We have gutted the inside, removed the electrical, two layers of siding, one was cedar and taken any windows that are usable.

This is where our biggest problem has started, the next layer is tongue and groove Yellow Pine and it is nailed to oak with 10 penny nails. It will not come off with a crowbar and will not budge or even splinter when pounded from behind with a sledgehammer. Some ideas would really be appreciated, I would hate to lose it by cutting it off. It would be great to replace the deteriorated second floor in our barn.

Any suggestions would be taken gratefully.

Does anyone know if the old painted cedar siding is worth anything? Or should I just re-side the chicken house with it?

Jacki

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aqguy

Obviously, each layer of the t&g is supported by the others around it, in addition to being tightly held by the fasteners. Try starting at the top and ripping the top row off if you have to. Then pry each row off from the top edge. Maybe you can slip a recip saw under them and cut the nails.

Know however that all this lumber is covered in lead paint. Protect yourself while doing this demo work. If you were using a contractor, he would be legally obliged to use the new EPA lead remediation procedures. These rules do not apply to DIY. I guess it might be safe enough to reuse it in a barn.

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™