Fireplace insulation

newhomeowner-2009October 8, 2009

I just had my fireplace chimney cleaned, and the repair guy suggested that I get a fireplace insert that can prevent a draft when I'm not using the fireplace. This is a good idea, so went over to Home Depot and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Online, all I could find was this, http://ucanhealth.com/local/merchandise/?pid=2576&ptt=Fireplace_Insulating_Plug which looks to me like just an overpriced piece of styrofoam. If anyone has any suggestions, either homemade or commercial, I'm all ears.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

A retrofit damper should be installed at the top of the chimney and requires a clay tile liner. It is operated from the side of the fire box by a cable.

They are sold through fireplace shops, chimney sweeps and Amazon.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: top damper

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 1:28PM
newhomeowner-2009

The chimney sweep recommended that too, but the price he quoted was $500. This, or something like it, seem slike a more economical way of doing the same task. I saw this on Amazon and I see it is theoretically available at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100662572&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100662572&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D22X-_-100662572

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 2:21PM
macv

If you put URL's in the box provided and give it a name, people can click on it.

Would you really take that thing out every time you wanted to use the fireplace? I suspect you will use it once and then throw it away because of the mess it makes or you'll try to start a fire and smoke up the house. Then you'll be back where you started.

If the chimney sweep wants to charge you $340 to attach a $160 damper to the top of the flue tile, you're talking to the wrong guy. Order the damper online and offer him or another chimney sweep $100 to install it.

All that is required is climbing up there with the damper unit and a tube of glue and sticking it on top of the clay flue tile and then dropping the cable down the chimney and securing a bracket to the side of the fire box.

Avoid temporary solutions to permanent problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: installation instructions

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™