sound proofing?

seosmpMay 19, 2013


I'm wondering if anyone did any soundproofing while the drywall was out, particularly where the plumbing is from the upstairs.

I'm thinking about putting some kind of insulation just by the PVC but am not sure how that would be done (what material to use, and how to put it by/around the PVC).


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I would wrap the pipes with Armaflex, which is that rubberized pipe insulation that you find at HD.
Click on the link below to see a sample.
Additionally, you can fill the stud bay with fiberglass insulation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Armaflex

This post was edited by willtv on Sun, May 19, 13 at 10:26

    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 10:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


I actually went to HD and they didn't have the Armaflex pipe wrap (as shown in your link). They just had the Armaflex tape/wrap. I did get some fiberglass insulation. I will see if I can find the Armaflex somewhere else, maybe a plumbing supply store?

    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 2:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I thought of this issue also when adding on our new masterbath with shower pipe running through the wall adjoining the head of the master bed and another plumbing stack adjacent to little DD's crib. Upon our request, the insulation crew (whole house reno with lots of new insulation) put in some kind of thick, wool-like insulation they said would help with the noise. Indeed, when I stand in the incomplete room it is eerily quiet.

    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 12:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I used the rockwool sound rate stuff between my living room and master bedroom. I also used QuietRock instead of regular sheetrock, both there and between the bathroom and bedroom.

There is some sort of heavy wrap for pipes -- I think it works out to about 5 dollars per foot of drain pipe. Regular fiberglass is nearly worthless for sound.

    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 3:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Rock wool. That's it. That's what we used. DH and I were just saying how we wished we'd have used it in more places to help block sound.

    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you really want to go all the way, you could replace that PVC section of drain pipe with cast iron. Then you would not hear it at all. (Probably not gonna happen, I imagine!)

    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 9:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the input!

I will not be replacing it with cast iron :). Only the top part of the drywall is out -- where the soffit was.

I went and got the "rock wool" from Menards (mineral wool insulation, brand Thermafiber) -- hopefully that's right!! So happy they had it since when I called this morning, they had no clue what I was talking about. I decided to run down there and by chance found it at the end of an aisle - I'm very happy about that! I figure I at least need to make it as quiet as it was with the soffit up there (it was a sturdy plywood box so must have offered a pretty good sound barrier).

Thanks again! This is why I love GW!!

    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:36AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Bungalow galley kitchen layout
Hello GW'ers! I'm new to the forum and have been so...
Week 45: He'p me!
He'p me! I have no idea what to ask about this week,...
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
How much has your Danby Marble countertops scratched?
Still looking for he holy grail of countertops… back...
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™