drilling scew in brick

olgam89October 26, 2006

Hi, stupid question probably, but I have an exposed brick wall and would like to place a screw in it to hang a picture, can I just drill on it or will the make it crumble. Also the wall is covering in some weird dust, how do I get that off?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

You can drill in it, but you should use a masonry bit, not a regular one. I would drill into the mortar rather than the brick face so it won't be as obvious if you take the picture down. You can get a box of concrete screws, with the proper drill bit included, at Home Depot for $6-$7. If you use another kind of screw, it could loosen up over time, or you would need to drill an oversize hole that would be big enough for a concrete anchor plug that you could screw into.

As for the dust, unless it's loose and can be vacuumed, it's probably old mortar stain and would be a nightmare to clean and you would have to use a particular acid. I'd live with it or paint the brick if it's so spotty it bothers you.

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 2:00PM
olgam89

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that tool bit a try.

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 4:53PM
brusso

The screws that HD sells are called Tapcon. They are designed for masonry and do come with a bit. Take your time drilling. Go all the way into the mortar. Like kudzu said dont go into the brick. It is too hard, takes forever AND it might crack.

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 8:06PM
    Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 7:19AM
normel

Tapcons are designed to go into the masonry not the mortar. If all you want to do is hang a picture, use a plastic anchor and screw inserted into a hole drilled (proper sized masonry bit)in the mortar.

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 10:00AM
pjb999

Plastic anchors are evil. Use RAMSET or similar. Anything but those plastic things.

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 2:52PM
ventupete

I use lead anchors and find they work very well.

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 6:38PM
brickeyee

For a load like a picture a plastic anchor and a wood screw are all you need.
They are easily removed and the hole in the mortar repaired if you ever need to.

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™