Diverting water from roof - no gutter

graywings123October 16, 2009

A friend has a bump out on his house where there is no gutter. Water coming down that stretch of roof drops off the edge of the shingles, splashing mud onto the side of the house and indenting the soil. Besides adding gutter - which he thinks would be unattractive - what options are there for diverters?

I suggested rain handler, but he is looking to put something on the roof, like a metal channel that would direct some of the water towards the gutters on either side of the bump out. Is there anything out there like that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

An "L" shaped metal strip that slides under the shingles at a slight angle to the roof edge and diverts water to one or both sides can often work flawlessly for a short width and is best made of copper or factory finished aluminum in a dark color or a color similar to the shingles. I prefer the copper ones.

    Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 1:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks, the metal strip idea is what he had in mind. You wonder why the builder didn't do it from the get-go.

Yes, the copper would be attractive.

    Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 4:15PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™