Speaking of coffee...

sayhellonowMay 27, 2008

I figured out that I was spending more than $600 a year on the drive-through for my morning coffee. Then another $530 on a different drive-through for afternoon iced tea. That's nearly $100/month for both of them. So OK, I can afford it. But I began asking myself why I should. After all, isn't $100/mo. better in my pocket than McDonald's and Wendy's?

Every now and then I'll give myself a real treat in the form of soy Chai tea, which I love. Barnes & Noble has it in their cafe for about $4, but in a local coffee house it's more than $6!

So now I'm on a mission. I'll pay for a smaller cup of Chai at the coffee house ONLY if I walk there and save the gas (it's 2.4 miles round trip). And I've become a die-hard home brewer of coffee and tea - LOL. But I'm kinda proud of myself for doing this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones

Congratulations! It's difficult to give those things up - the body becomes addicted to them. I gave up coffee and now drink herbal substitutes for coffee - can't tell the difference.

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 1:00PM
sayhellonow

What kind of substitute do you drink, Kay? While I don't necessarily think the caffeine is bad, I do resent that it can be addictive. But I'm just really proud of saving the money - LOL - maybe turning into a cheapskate in my old age.

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 6:28PM
kayjones

I use Cafix instant beverage crystals - it's made by Internatural foods - it costs the same as other instant coffees.

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 8:57PM
sayhellonow

I'll look for it. I started drinking coffee (again, after I had quit) because I read that people who drink at least two cups a day had much lower risk of colon cancer.

Here's a question for the group: Where do you save money when you don't have to? I remember a friend of mine laughing at me because I had paid an ungodly amount of money for a handbag, yet spent more than an hour calling nurseries and the like to get potting soil at about 50 cents cheaper. And I only needed one bag!

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 10:38AM
kayjones

Oh, I buy everything I can from thrift stores. The only retail I buy is underwear and some of the grandsons' clothes. As long as it is in great condition, I will buy it.

I shop the mark-down rack at Lowes - if there is nothing there, I will buy the plant that is distressed and ask the manager to mark it down.

In other words, I RARELY pay full price to anything but food and underwear!!!

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 7:36AM
sayhellonow

You're a real bargain shopper. So am I. - and I love the thrift stores.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 10:10AM
eloise_ca

Good question sayhellonow. Funny how we try to save on somethings, and then just blow it on something else. I try to save on gas for my car, but then drive all over town going to nurseries for plants! I also have energy saving light bulbs in the house, but then water my lawn and plants!

I love having my coffee early in the morning, two cups, then I am set for the day. My regular coffee is a mixture of Yuban and a bit of Vanilla Nut. Every once in a long while when I meet a friend for lunch or dinner, I might have a cup of coffee, but only if I know for sure it is good coffee.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 10:30AM
sayhellonow

Oh, we should be neighbors, Eloise. The first thing I do in the morning is plug in the coffee pot, and this time of year it's always on the patio. I put the water and dry coffee in the pot the night before. I'm not really a connoisseur of coffee, but I do like it a certain way. First, it's half decaf and half regular. Then it's tsp of Splenda and one-forth-to-one-half cup of soy milk.

There's nothing that beats fresh coffee in summer on the patio, IMO.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Are singles allowed to meet on here?
Are singles allowed to exchange email addresses....on...
robar
Christmas
How many of you are spending it alone? Compared to...
emma
singles and dogs?
Hi all, I haven't posted here before and just found...
katrina_ellen
Older women, younger men....
I've been recently widowed, and although I would love...
patty_cakes
What to do when you have no money to get a lawyer
I've been a GardenWeb member for quite a while, and...
jeaninwa
Sponsored Products
Liberty Furniture Prairie Hills 3 Piece Occasional Set in Satin Cherry Finish
Beyond Stores
VIG Furniture - Marina 4 Piece Patio Set - VGMNMARINA
Great Furniture Deal
Moooi | Elements 006
YLiving.com
Black & Yellow Fantastic Feline Totem Mug
$10.99 | zulily
Kartell | Trays
$650.00 | YLighting
Collins Storage Ottoman
Ballard Designs
Daytona 78" Double Bathroom Vanity Set & Side Cabinet by Wyndham Collection - Es
Modern Bathroom
Hampton Bay Dining Furniture Haver Hill IV 3-Piece Patio Bistro Set
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™