Forcing Vinyl Siding to Color Fade

wrldrulerOctober 31, 2008

Hello. I had some HVAC work done on my house, and they had to remove one of the electrical disconnect boxes on the side of the house.

The vinyl siding under the box is a lot darker than the rest of the vinyl siding around it. I had no idea the siding had faded so much after 15 years in the sun. It has gone from a grey-clay to a grey-white. You can actually see the dark spot from the street.

I considered replacing that section, but I know that I won't be able to color match. I thought about taking siding from the back of the house, but the back doesn't get any sun, so it too would be darker than the side.

I am trying to figure out how I can force that spot to become lighter, so it matches the sun fade of the rest of the siding.

Any ideas how to force vinyl siding to fade? Can I use sand paper? Can I use bleach? Should I just try to paint the dark spot?

Thanks,

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

The UV light from the sun causes most of the fading.

There is not really any way to speed it up.

You could try and mix some paint to the faded color, but that will also prevent the spot from actually fading.

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 4:10PM
hendricus

If the electric box was not noticeable to you before, just get an empty box and put it back to cover up the spot.

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 9:08PM
victoria_stewart

If it is easily reached, you might try wiping it several times with a light bleach mixture. This worked for my grandfathers siding when we had the windows replaced and the original color was exposed once they were finished.

You might also hang something there if it is in a good location for a outdoor plaque, wallmounted bird feeder, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: This DIY book has often helped me.

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
shufflehop
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
padfoot4768
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
Pork Chop Return (aka Mutton Chop)
Has anyone successfully changed a pork chop dormer...
betsy031799
Sponsored Products
Little Cottage 8 x 10 Stratford Schoolhouse Wood Playhouse Multicolor - 8X10STRA
Hayneedle
Boraam Madison Dining Table in Cherry
Beyond Stores
Bristol Satin Nickel Outdoor Wall Mounted Light
$83.95 | Bellacor
Black Diamond Veneer Bombay Chest
$279.99 | zulily
Little Cottage 8 x 12 Stratford Schoolhouse Wood Playhouse Multicolor - 8X12STRA
Hayneedle
Little Cottage 8 x 12 Gingerbread Wood Playhouse - 8X12GINGERBREAD W/O FLOOR KIT
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™