Does subway tile work with Mexican tile and creme de Bordeaux cou

maxee123May 7, 2013

Would very much appreciate your thoughts for my new backsplash.
I love subway tile, but does it work with existing Mexican tile
and new countertop?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

the classic backsplash for Saltillo tile floors is the square handmade Mexican tile - pattern or plain.

However, that cream handmade 3x6 you asked about would look great in terms of color and rustic feel.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:30AM
maxee123

Thank you, lazygardens for your reply. Confirms what I have in mind. I am considering the Emser Cape Cod cream crackle. Also have a sample of the Ken Mason core gloss crackle, and Artistic Tile biscuit crackle. Waiting for samples from Adex Hampton and Grazia. All subway cream crackle variations on the same theme! I just love the subway tile look....trying very hard to work this with my floor.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:58AM
rosylady

I would vote no. I think you need something more earthy.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:48PM
maxee123

Thanks, Rosylady.....in my gut and heart, I know you are right. That is why I am fretting so much. I am fighting working around the mexican tile. Taking my time to figure it out. Thanks again for your reply.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 2:00PM
rosylady

I think a square tile would fit better in your kitchen. For me the issue with the subways is the shape as much as the color, although a handmade crackle finish is definitely more earthy. I also think subways most often read vintage or traditional.

What about Fireclay tiles? Something like this in a different color would be beautiful.

Maybe a warm color pulled from your floor tile and your granite.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 2:57PM
maxee123

Wow....I like that idea. Going to check online for the fireclay. So, perhaps, I should pick up a color from the granite that also goes with the floor rather than matching the cabinet color. I just want to update....can't do major remodeling. Thanks again, rosylady, for your time and advice!

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 8:17PM
maxee123

Hello again rosylady,
Thank you so much for your fireclay suggestion. I have checked it out online and think it is beautiful. Will be requesting samples.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 8:43PM
maxee123

Hi, rosylady,
Just have to say thanks, again! I have several samples on the way from Fireclay Tile. I am so excited to see what they think will work. I sent them photos. I spoke to Emily who will help and she, in turn, talked to another designer to come up with appropriate sample selection.
Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 8:50PM
mrspete

I love your tile floors, but I vote NO on subway tiles for that same room. Both are nice looks, but I don't see them fitting together.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 9:33PM
maxee123

Thank you, MrsPete. I am thinking square, too. But, just wondering what you think if the tiles were subway size 3x6, handmade, rustic with crackle glaze. Not a slick/sleek subway tile.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
Cabs above the fridge and wall oven
We don't have a KD yet, and I'm still just figuring...
Jennifer Weinman
Your longest stretch of granite counter w/o seam?
Our counters will be re-templated later today. It...
tea4all
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Proximity of Sink to pantry wall - how to avoid water damage?
I currently have just enough space for a 12 inch counter/cabinet...
sl4321
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™