Flaking cement...

ritaotayOctober 20, 2005

The house was built in '56 and the problem started this year... The cement door 'sill' is starting to flake on the top... When I sweep the leaves back outside, out of the hall way, I notice a fine grit going with it... The sill itself has some small dimples but it doesn't pose a tripping hazard just yet... I'd like some suggestions as to what I can use to seal it to prevent further problems and perhaps build it back up so it's perfectly flat once more...

Rita

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marcell

Use a wire brush remove as much loose material as possible, then fill and level the area using prepared vinyl cement patch, you can purchase as little as a 16 oz tube or as much as a gallon and it is very easy to apply and smooth. After the patch dries you can apply a sealer. Any home center, such as lowes or Ace Hardware will carry a suitable sealer and will advise you how to apply it.

Bookmark   October 23, 2005 at 11:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_in_kc

The flaking/shaling effect that you describe usually occurs with freeze/thaw cycles when moisture has permeated the concrete, frozen (expanded) and thawed. You can trowel on vinyl cement to level out the surface, but it'll be pretty obvious since its color never matches the old concrete. If that's not an issue, then go ahead and use it. If the concrete's not deteriorated too much and you just want to prevent it from deteriorating further--- wash and scrub the concrete with a bleach solution (or commercial cleaner) to remove dirt and mold and let it dry thoroughly. Then brush or roll on liquid concrete sealer (available at most home improvement stores). That should help alleviate moisture penetrating the concrete.

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
kashka_kat
Can you clear my doubt about home security system?
I have a home security system installed recently. Do...
jeckjiem
Roof leak - best way to find it?
Hi Everyone, I am a condo owner in New Jersey and own...
cpannetti
Sponsored Products
Spider Mica Island Pendant
$386.75 | Bellacor
Henri Studio Tulip Cast Stone Bird Bath
Lamps Plus
Henri Studio Gothic Dolphin 2-Tier Fountain
Lamps Plus
RION Furniture - Hand Side Table - AR-234
Great Furniture Deal
Jelly Blue Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$297.36 | Bellacor