What do you call those deep set buttons in cushions?

maymesterApril 25, 2010

I have a porch cushion set that I'd like to redo in outdoor fabric. I am not much of a seamstress but I would like to know how to make those dented buttons that seem to pinch the fabric down. What's the correct term for them and are they hard for a novice to do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

As far as I know they are called buttons. You get some buttons that you cover. The directions are on the package. You may have to buy a tool to do it. You need a long upholstry needle.

The procedure is--cover the button and thread your needle with the upholstry thread made for this purpose. Insert the needle from the back of whatever you are putting them on. Slip the button on the needle and take a stitch back then pull it tight and tie securely

    Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 5:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you follow the link, then scroll down to where it says "tufting with buttons", I think it will help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: tufting with buttons

    Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 8:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks to both of you, just what I needed!

    Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 7:54PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
Great show...fit2stitch
I just started watching fit 2 stitch with Peggy Sagers...
Annie Deighnaugh
White serger
I have a White Superlock 2000 serger. I have been sewing...
Can I add another layer to drapes?
Howdy folks! I came across a GREAT deal at a resale...
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™